Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Sun, Sand & Surf (Part 3)

We'll have been back for 3 weeks officially today. Sigh. So quickly, the holiday seems a world away. Hawaii and it's beautiful beaches, which make it THE PLACE to chill. The sun, the sand, and the surf... Bring it on.

Nine: Chill out at the Beach


My favourite moments were those spent, just the 2 of us, enjoying you-and-me time by the beach. Little wonder maybe, since the beaches were all pretty spectacular. Stretches of (mostly) soft white sand with crystal clear water, stretching into nothingness on the horizon.

And so we whiled away much time, lost in our own little world.

Bliss.


Hanalei, Princeville, Kauai


Ten: Learn to surf at Poipu Beach, Kauai

Well, that was only DD really... I just chilled out at the beach! This was in the final days of our honeymoon and flopping around was foremost in my list of priorities. Besides, that gave me the opportunity to take pics.

I must say, I'm pretty proud of my guy, he caught on real quick. Guess the childhood skateboarding and good sense of balance helped. Me, just the sight of surfers bobbing in the water made me grateful I wasn't out there. Seasick on a surfboard? I'd never live it down.

Picking up the basics...


Paddling out...


Success!


The bug has bitten. He wants to go again.

Eleven: Watch beautiful sunsets

One sunrise was more than enough for us late risers!

The problem with the sunsets - and this is the one main grouse we had only our holiday - is how EARLY it is. Sunset is around 5.30pm and by 6pm, it's pitch black. Which made the days very short, especially when you wake up late...

But each sunset was amazing anyway. We always had to stop to watch.


Kama'ole I Beach, Kihei, Maui


Sheraton Beach, Poipu, Kauai


Outside the Beach House, Poipo, Kauai
(while waiting for our table)


Waikiki Beach, Oahu

Twelve: Taking a helicopter flight over beautiful Kauai

This was an indulgence, but there was no better way to see the island, so we went anyway. Kauai is the scenic island, and it well deserves it's title.

And it was truly truly truly amazing. Waterfall after waterfall (including the one featured in Jurassic Park), Waimea Canyon, the breathtaking Na Pa Li Coast, the absolute majesty of the Waialeale Crater...

Our one regret: not taking the doorless helicopter. Knowing my tendency towards motion sickness, DD decided that we shouldn't be too adventurous on my first heli trip. The ride was great - we strongly recommend Air Kauai for the excellent tour - but the glass made it difficult to take pics. That plus the fact that DD happened to pick a rather strongly coloured shirt which ended up getting reflected in the pics!

Argh!

But here are some of them anyway...


Front row seat! Thanks to being the lightest member of the group.


Towards the Canyon


Around Waimea Canyon


The Waterfall of Jurassic Park fame


Na Pa Li


Na Pa Li's Cathedrals


Emerging from within


The endless coastline...



Next time, we're going doorless.

Thirteen: Experiencing the world famous Waikiki Beach

The Waikiki of the movies - the thumping beach music, the white sand all but covered by all the sunseekers out to catch the rays... Not an accurate picture of the true Hawaii, but not to be missed. So we decided to stay on Waikiki beach itself for our last day. Outrigger Waikiki it was, with the lanai overlooking the beach.


Waikiki with Diamond head in the background

We strolled around, gawking at the fantabulous hotels by the beach, especially the Sheraton Ala Moana. Wow. Too bad room rates started at like $400 pplus US for garden view... Ah well, maybe in another lifetime...


Ok that's it. I want to go back!

Kudos to DD who was so sweet and planned most of our trip, just so I'd have one less thing to worry about. It was perfect.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely beaches!

    CHEERS to DD for the planning!
    And wow. surfer dude hubby u got there!

    And u survived the heli-ride!I almost "fainted" at the Mt Cook heli-ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Want to go back... :( Was the first time DD ever did such detailed planning for a holiday actually, so I think he didn't do too bad a job :)

    Not surfer dude yet - more like surfer dude wannabe! ha ha :P

    The heli ride was pretty smooth, much to my surprise and relief. What happened on your Mt Cook one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got giddy
    and as the "official" videographer, I stopped taking video and kept wishing for the ride to stop so I can be rid of the queesy feeling ;/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor you - I would never have been able to take the video. Even videoing on flat ground makes me a little dizzy sometimes... Ha ha. I'm so weak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, tehpeng says pple watching my video will get dizzy cos I move too fast!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...