Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Get To Vote!

It's Polling Day today. Today, I'll be casting a ballot for the first time in 10 years.

Back in 2001, I played a part in making my choice in the General Elections. Today however, we will be voting in a very different election for the President.

I thought very long and hard about posting about my thoughts about this election and my choice earlier on, but decided not to. This is mainly because in this election, I know I will not be able to be impartial and objective. Friends on Facebook will know that I clearly support Dr Tan Cheng Bock. Of the many reasons for that choice, one of them is that members of his team and his family include people whom we hold very dear to us. In this case, I am happy that Doc is also the person I think best suited for the job. Knowing him personally, I can say that he is warm and genuine, and is really a people person. I think that the fact that so many of his men -- ordinary Singaporeans -- from his Ayer Rajar constituency continue to show such undying devotion to him even after he has retired from politics reflects well on him and speaks volumes of the type of man he is. If you look at his team, you will realize that Doc continues to surround himself with ordinary folk, and not the rich or influential.

I read a comment somewhere that said that what you do in the years before an election is more important than what you do or say during an election. This comes through clearly from the many testimonies that so many of Doc's old patients and constituents have put forth. A person can keep saying that he has the heart for the people, but if in the many years prior he can show nothing to evidence that, one should be careful not to be taken in.

I think many people have their reasons for backing their choice of candidate. Some well-thought through, some frivolous. The beauty or bane of the one-man one-vote system is that everyone gets that one equal say in it. I won't ask you to vote wisely, for what is wise? The role of the President does mean many different things to different people. But do give your choice some measure of consideration. For me, after a bruising General Election just months ago, I would hope that today, whoever the chosen one may be, he will, as head of state, command the respect of all Singaporeans alike and bring the people together and not divide society further.

Ok, let's go vote!

Edited to add:


I got to cast my first vote in 10 years at my old school. Possibly the first time in 15 years I've been back!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, I haven't been back since we left! Any changes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Corsage@A Dollop Of Me Voting was conducted in the Drama Theater and they pretty much blocked off all other areas leading further into the school buildings so I didn't get to explore. Pity. Was looking forward to showing Noey around. Will have to go back another day to do it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...