Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Home, For Good, For Now


On Monday, I packed up my office desk for the second time in two months.

The first time was a month ago when my office shifted out of from its prime almost-on-Orchard-Road space to its new location in Pasir Panjang. Needless to say, the change in location was quite a shock to the system.

This second time round is for good. After much deliberation, and with the blessings of my husband, I have decided to call it a day on my time at my current office. It's been nearly 5 years. I will be staying at home with my babies for a bit before returning to the workforce.

There are many small (ok, maybe not-so-small) push factors and the rather large pull factor of the home that have resulted in this decision. My home needs me at the moment.

I also make this decision with the peace of mind that this is really God's hand at work, because I of the full support of my family I've received. Whenever I'd previously contemplated stopping work, my Mum would be vehemently against the idea. The usual "you can't just rely on your husband" and "it is important to have your own money" and "it would be a waste" lectures would be trotted out. I actually don't agree with that thinking, but for the sake of peace, plus the fact that I was ok with my job and the part-time arrangement was working rather well, I never pushed it.

The past couple of months since I returned to the office have, however, been challenging on my alternate care-givers. And everything came to a head in August when we realised that:

  • My helper would have to return home in Oct
  • I would have to get a new helper with uncertain prospects of whether there were any suitable ones available and when she would be able to arrive
  • My Mum's helper would be going back on home leave at around the same time
  • DD was scheduled for 3 weeks of reservist overseas from mid-Oct

This after my Dad had gone back to work, and I had gone back to work. My Mum was feeling the strain, especially with 2 kids now under her watch.

So when I suggested that I stop work, at least for a bit, I wasn't met with the usual talking-tos. Oh no. Instead, my Mum heaved a sigh of relief and told me she thought it was a good thing! Wow. Praise God indeed.

Things have worked out quite well for me in the end -- nightmare Oct did not materialise. My new helper was able to come in early, and DD managed to get his reservist deferred. There's still plenty to do at home though.

I am exploring some options, but in the meantime, I fully intend to enjoy my time with my two babies. Especially with the school holidays coming up! I hope I will be able to take a leaf out of my friend's book and be a "never-stay-at-home-Mum" at least some of the time!

10 comments:

  1. what a nice turn of events! it is great to be able to spend more time with your kids. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you - Am sure your babies will be happy to have you home more too!

    I'm seriously contemplating the same move after #2 comes along too.

    Really struggling with childcare options next year what with our house move, our plans to get a helper to help my poor over-stretched mum, Sean going through a Terrible Twos phase and starting school plus the addition of a new baby!

    At the end of the day, I think my heart really belongs at home and the family too.

    Won't be an easy decision - Foops and my mum have the same reasons as your mum why I should not stop working. Oh well, we'll see what next year brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all struggle with this, as working mothers. It is really not easy to have your cake and eat it, for this.

    Praise God for His good timing :)

    And I really like the "never-stay-at-home-mum" bit! Enjoy your time with the two :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah! totally love the 'never stay at home mum'! which is so good for sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your time with your precious babies! There's so much to explore during the school holidays indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @sockling thanks! i hope i would cherish it, not start pulling my hair out. haha.

    @olimomok oh, good luck with thinking that process through. it gets trickier with 2 and factoring in the school run. sounds like you'll still be some distance from your mum too. i realise it would be so much easier if my parents lived near me AND noey's school. then the school bus could pick him up and drop him at their place and my mum wouldn't need to come over to my place. another reason for me to try to persuade them to move! i hope you find a good solution babe.

    @lilsnooze you're right. and we all know that staying at home too much with the kids will drive us bananas too! well, God is indeed gracious!

    @L haha, my friend coined the term, and i love it! not so easy with 2 kids but i will try!

    @MieVee @ MummysReviews.com yes, exactly why i don't plan to start a new job before the holidays are over. the school hols will be the best time to bring them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Seems like things have worked out in God's timing! Enjoy the time with your two little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAYYY!!! looking forward to never staying home with you! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. i say, take your time to explore those options because something good will bound to come out of nowhere when we least expect it. ENJOY! i'm glad it all worked out for you. could tell that you felt more lifted when you made the decision? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi BeanBean, so glad for you. God really plans every step for us, sometimes we just don't see it until it happens! :) I've recently made some changes too, and am enjoying every bit of extra time I have with my kids and family. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...