Powered by Blog - Widget


Thursday, November 03, 2011

Getting Arty at Art Bug

I've been toying with the idea of sending Noey for Art classes sometime next year. This little man of mine loves messing around with paint, markers, crayons and the like, so I thought it might be something he would enjoy. Plus I'm hoping that his art skills wouldn't be as non-existent as mine.

I was thrilled therefore when I won an Art Bug voucher from Mamawearpapashirt. With that, I signed Noey up for a trial class, which he attended on Monday afternoon.

Art Bug is situated at 51 Waterloo Street, in an old restored building which was apparently the old Catholic High School.

The boy was really excited when I told him about the class. "I don't want to go to school! I want to go for Art Class!" he said immediately that morning when I broke the news.

All my initial fears that he wouldn't be comfortable attending class all on his own without me were completely unfounded. He walked into the classroom at the start of class, donned the apron that was being held out for him, took his seat, and never looked back (so to speak). He did glance at me a couple of times when I was standing at the door, but since I had prepared him for the fact that he would be attending class on his own, the fact that I would not be there with him was a non-issue. I think he was more excited about getting to do art anyway!

I hung around a bit, peeking through the window long enough to hear the teacher explain a bit about Art Deco, which I think was the theme for the week. I was glad to see Noey following along and answering questions identifying the geometric forms in the picture the teacher was showing the class. He then gamely grabbed a pencil and started drawing on his paper as the teacher tried to get them to draw some shapes. I doubt he could really do it on his own though.


The lesson was held in the gallery, a really rather lovely and arty looking space. This was a 3.30pm class, so it was very small. Noey was the only boy.

Since I was not needed, I left to run some errands. When I returned, I found a cheerful Noey waiting for me with his art work, which he happily brandished in front of my face. It's "an ant", he tells me, though I don't see it at all!

Noey's "ant", as I am led to believe.

I was glad to learn from the teacher that he was able to understand and follow along, and that he paid attention, though he was, as she put it, "a bit too interested in the glue". Haha. I did take a look at the pieces his classmates were holding and his was definitely the biggest! I dare say he did get carried away with all the glue.

When I asked him what he learnt that day, he was able to tell me that they learnt about shapes, and they stuck fabric of different shapes on to the paper. ("Fabric" was his new word for the day. He kept correcting me every time I referred to it as cloth or material.) He definitely did enjoy himself and I got a loud "Yes!" when I asked him if he wanted to go for class again.

I am thinking of trying out a couple of other art schools which might be a little closer to home before I decide on one for him. Art Bug did make a good impression so we might be back.

4 comments:

  1. this is so cooL!! and your boy is great! i don't think my 2 velcro kids will ever allow me to leave! :(

    GOOD JOB NOEY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @FY He just really really really wanted to go! Otherwise he's mr velcro too, most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, when I saw the piece, I thought turtle! Oh well, what's impt is that he could imagine it to be an ant, so I guess the process is more impt than the product! LOL. Glad he enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @June I suggested that it looked more like a turtle too! But he was very firm about it being an ant. I think he stuck so much fabric on the pice that it grew beyond it's original ant structure. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...