Powered by Blog - Widget


Friday, December 23, 2011

Tang Yuan and Thankfulness

In celebration of 冬至 yesterday, it was 汤圆 for dessert for us 3 yesterday. With soup for us parents and just loads of peanuts for Noey.

I had only come to learn of the tradition of marking 冬至 a couple of years ago from some friends. My parents have never celebrated it. I think DD's mum does make them 汤圆 on the day but he never knew why! I like the idea though of the day where the family comes together to pay homage to the year gone by, and have 汤圆 as a symbol of reunion. Sort of like a Chinese version of Thanksgiving, I feel. Also, since I love 汤圆, I was more than happy to find an occasion to eat it!

This year, I have much to be thankful to God for.

I am thankful for the opportunity to spend some time off work to be with my 2 babies and to watch them grow. Though initially overwhelmed, I have settled more into a routine and can now honestly say that I'm enjoying it. Our days are mostly filled with activity. There are, of course, still the painful days when both kids refuse to cooperate and there is grief all round. On those days, I tell myself that the next day would be a better day. And most of the time, it is.

I am thankful that my dear husband appreciates me being at home and has not complained that I'm not working. At least for now! I was very touched when he took the opportunity yesterday to thank me for looking after the kids and making sure that the home runs smoothly. And he didn't accuse me of spending his money and being a tai-tai. Hah. I know I have been very blessed in this regard.

I am thankful for the friendships renewed and strengthened over the past year. I used to want to be part of every crowd when I was younger and desperately wanting to fit in. As I've grown older, it no longer bothers me that there are circles that do not include me. I make dates with people I want to meet - when I can squeeze out the time from my sticky clingy kids - and I treasure instead the friends that I do have. It's even better when our kids get along. I am thankful that I have friends who would always be a listening ear, that I can rant to, in person or over e-mail, whom I can be speak freely around, who let me be myself.

I don't know what 2012 will bring. But I'm looking forward to it already.

Have a blessed end to the year!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post :)

    Have a blessed Christmas and may God's blessings continue to be upon you in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Wini Thanks Wini. Happy 2012 too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...