Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, June 30, 2012

Building a Loving SG with Lego

I love the National Day Parade. Cheesy but true.

I didn't manage to get tickets to the parade again this year, and it seems unlikely that we'll do a National Day Staycation this year since DD has a major work deadlines on the Monday just after National Day. Looks like the closest we'll be getting to the parade this year is the TV.

So I perked up when I learnt from S that this year, the organizers have re-created the Marina Bay Floating Platform out of Lego, and that for a minimum donation of $5, you can customize a pair of Lego figurines, one of which will be placed in the seating gallery of the Lego platform. Well, in this family, you only have to mention Lego to get everyone excited. I thought having our family represented by Lego at the National Day Parade was rather apt.

My Lego-junkie of a husband was all enthusiastic about the idea, but us being us, we forgot about going down to the roadshows until I read D's post last Saturday night and realized that it was the last weekend. I thought it was too late for us, but obviously I forgot that DD was never going to miss this! He assured me we would make it on Sunday evening. But that wasn't all. Shortly after, I found him packing two little boxes.

"What's that?" I asked him. "Are you bringing your own parts?? Seriously??"

"In case theirs are not nice," he replied.

I rolled my eyes, but I've learnt not to argue with my husband when it comes to things Lego.

ImageOnly my husband will bring his own parts to build minifigs when parts are provided!

Anyhow, we made it down to Funan Digitalife Mall (still Funan Centre to me, really) just before heading over to my MIL's for dinner and the boys had a good time putting our minifig representatives together!

IMG 5593It's pretty clear who enjoyed himself the most at this event!

IMG 5594The boys picking their pieces.

As it turned out, it was a good thing DD brought his own pieces because the selection they had was pretty limited. Out came a couple of helmets, two sets of legs, some fancier hair and a satchel for me, and we had our own unique set of minifigs to place on the stands!

IMG 5602Here's our family!

DD also spent some time chatting with one of the volunteers helping out at this event, who was a big Lego fan himself (but of course). He learnt a bit about how they built and created the platform, which I think is rather impressive. Apparently the seats were bought off Bricklink, positively one of DD's favourite websites. I would have thought they would get Lego Singapore involved, but apparently not.

IMG 5592The blue stand, slowly filling up with spectators.

IMG 5613And here's our family, as part of the action!

I'm glad we managed to be a part of this. The whole stand will be assembled and on display at the Singapore Flyer in the lead up to National Day, so keep an eye out for that! It is also apparently still possible to purchase the Lego minifigs online and collect them at the NDP Roadshows that will be happening in the month of July. Do check the Building a Loving SG website for details. All proceeds go directly to The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund.

8 comments:

  1. Good thing you guys brought your own parts. Your Lego family is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thanks! They actually look rather cute when put together. I just hope the parts don't get stolen.

      Delete
  2. How cute is this!!!! I think D already has an image of how the minifigs will look like before he went! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, just realised my reply comment didn't register! Anyway, I wanted to tell you that your comment reminded me of our "real" Lego family that DD put together and you might have seen on FB. I think I will blog about that when I have the time - a lot of effort went into perfecting that family!

      Delete
  3. I recall you did this before! should link that post and claim patent rights to the idea! :) Love your satchel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you saw it on DD's FB page first! Haha. I also thought the satchel was very appropriate!

      Delete
  4. Boys and their toys!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! With my boys, they're obsessed with these little plastic bricks!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...