Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Photoshoot! Our Family, June 2012

I think every family has a family photographer.

In our family, it is DD. He is the one responsible for the gorgeous shots of the kids. The unfortunate result of that, however, is that he doesn't appear in many photographs with the children. He has tried to hand the camera over to me occasionally, but the SLR and me, we don't really get along. I have that special gift of taking over a camera, already pre-metered and focal point adjusted, and the shot will still come out blurry. It's almost an (un)super power of mine.

I didn't want to kids to only have bad photos of their Dad - and not many at that - when they looked back on their childhood. So as my Father's Day gift to my husband, I got KC from Tinydot Photography to take some family photos for us. (Thanks Pam for the recommendation!)

When I started looking around for a photographer, I kept flip-flopping between taking studio shots or having an outdoor shoot. Tinydot doesn't have a studio, but KC suggested doing some shots indoors at the Tinydot office and taking some shots outdoors in the Tiong Bahru neighbourhood. That sounded perfect to me! And that's what we did.

We trooped down bright and early at 8am one Saturday morning in June and spent a couple of hours taking pictures.

KC shot and edited the shots and I got a disc of images - all 330 of them - a couple of days later.

We are sooo pleased with the photos! Even my fussy-about-photos husband loved them.

There are lots of lovely ones which I plan to collage, and also print on canvas for the house. I haven't gotten round to it yet, but I thought I'd share some of my favourites here.

DV 0008

DV 0013

DV 0039

DV 0067

DV 0124

DV 0163

DV 0170

DV 0190

Photoshoot1I love this collage of 4 photos below because of the backstory. Naomi was acting up on the ground just before this, and these shots capture Noey going over on his own accord to cheer her up. It worked. The sibling bond? It makes me melt.

DV 0203

DV 0206

I thought having some shots indoors turned out to be a good idea because we were able to continue shooting in air-conditioned comfort when the kids were fast tiring, and everyone didn't look quite so, erm, sweaty.

DV 0220

DV 0244

DV 0256

DV 0261

DV 0265

DV 0276

DV 0294

The husband and I also took the opportunity to do some couple shots, which you can see here, on an earlier post I wrote on our anniversary.

It really wasn't that easy, taking photos with a not-so-cooperative 1-year old. On hindsight, we realised it might have helped to have brought an assistant along to help trigger some smiles from Naomi. But notwithstanding this, I think KC did a great job. He related well to the kids and the photos were just what we were looking for: beautiful shots of our family, as we are, but in good light. Hee.

And yes, with Papa present too.

30 comments:

  1. Anonymous31/7/12 09:26

    Wow! Love all the shots! You all look fantastic :)
    This is something I have been thinking of doing as well.... may just be pushed to do so now!

    Nish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nish, you should! Let me know if you need the contact or more info!

      Delete
  2. Awww lovely indeed! I especially like the one of all four of you on the sofa!

    Reading your description of your photography "skills," I'm reminded of my husband, who has a knack of getting his finger into every shot! Hard to beat that, hehe.

    (Btw the pics on your blog are really nice; I'm sure you took at least some of them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, a finger is hard to beat, you're right! Lol!

      I'm ok with the iPhone camera - at least I have Instagram to help cover up some of the flaws :) I stay away from the SLR though!

      Delete
  3. that's such a lovely gift to hubby :) love the simple joy and happy faces in the photos..

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ai! I think my husband is happier behind the camera, but he definitely appreciated the pics!

      Delete
  4. Love the shots. You guys look really natural and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. Credit to the photographer for that!

      Delete
  5. 330 shots!! shortlisting them for next photoshoot when teanne is bigger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was so happy to have so many to choose from!

      Delete
  6. Lovely, lovely, lovely :) I like the outdoor ones especially the one of Noey and Naomi. And the colour combination looks great. You should definately print them out.
    How long did the shoot take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that I managed to get the husband to agree to wear pink. Haha! The shoot took almost 2 hours in total. We were done by 10am after our early start.

      Delete
  7. Lovely! Noey and Naomi have the same wide smile! (love the photo of them with the railings). Hubs didn't want to do our shoot but appreciated the photos thereafter! (Yay - Lyn 1, J 0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that may be the only thing they have in common. They look so dissimilar! I love your photoshoot pics - good job persuading J to go through with it!

      Delete
  8. Great pictures.. love the moments captured .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dominique! We did enjoy ourselves. I'm glad it showed!

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos! What a happy family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia! One of the purposes of taking these photos was to capture the kids' smiles so I'm glad we managed to.

      Delete
  10. indeed lovely photos! The kids are all so smiley and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't really that happy. Lots of silly action going on behind the photographer to make them laugh!

      Delete
  11. Anonymous31/7/12 22:58

    Great photos! I especially like the one of the siblings against the wall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne! There were quite a few nice ones from that series and I think that's one of them that will go up in my room :)

      Delete
  12. Oh so precious! ;) I reckon going outdoors really helped being out the natural element in the shoot!! ;) the little ones looked like they were having soooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't post the shots of Naomi bawling away! She wasn't so happy about all the photo taking. Haha. But yes, I'm sure it helped being outdoors. I imagine she would have lost her patience much faster if we were in a studio.

      Delete
  13. Lovely shots! :) Like jayne, my favorite is the one of the two little ones against the wall. Their expressions are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I secretly want to do one family photoshoot too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get Ron to take for you guys when he gets there!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...