Powered by Blog - Widget


Monday, September 17, 2012

Swim, Noey, Swim!

Noey started swim lessons last week.

His cousins were looking to start a class and I jumped at the chance to let him learn in a group setting. While DD is a very proficient swimmer, and would have done a decent job as a swim instructor, we did think Noey would be more willing to learn in a group with friends rather than on his own. As it was, when I first broached the subject of swim lessons with him, he quickly said he didn't want them. But when I told him that S and Z would be with him, he happily agreed.

Various travel plans caused the start date for swim class to be pushed back, but when Monday arrived, I think all us Mums were feeling a bit nervous about how the kids would take to it. We had roped in one other friend's daughter to make a class of four, and except for Z (who is the youngest), all the other three have some water anxiety. We all came, fully prepared to have to jump into the water with the kids but seriously hoping that we wouldn't have to!

Our prayers were certainly answered -- all four children took to the lesson, and the coach really well. The first lesson was more fun than challenging, with plenty of time spent splashing and getting the kids comfortable with the water. "So that they will want to come back," said the coach. I think he's got his strategy right! 

IMG 3810Coach E getting the kids to wash their faces.

IMG 3828Lotsa kicking!

IMG 3829Here Noey is trying to float on his back. He gamely went forward and stuck his arms out and put his head back, but hated the feeling of the water in his ears. He had to be persuaded to try again, and I'm glad he did it.

The kids all finished the first lesson with no tears and were enthusiastic about returning again the following week. We Mummies considered that a huge success! Credit should be given to their coach for connecting with them well and getting them to participate with him. Incidentally, their coach is a good friend of my sister's from her school days, so I've kind of known him, through her for years now, but I was surprised by how good he was with kids. Guess I never saw that side of him!

The second lesson was today. They did more serious work today, and I was really pretty proud of Noey. For a boy who would usually only want to walk around in the baby pool and kicks up a huge fuss about his swim wear, he actually wore the wetsuit uniform, managed to float outstretched with a kick board, agreed to wear his goggles and dip his face in the water while wearing them and holding his breath. And when floating on his back this time, he was able to put his ears in the water. Wow. I think those were quite some achievements for him!  

IMG 3870Floating outstretched

So we're definitely off to a good start. I am definitely praying that this continues.

6 comments:

  1. Good job noey! I think its an schievement! I think they tend to have fears or anxiety as they grow older.

    Im hoping to start nat on swim class,nxt summer!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be fun for Nat! Though, I was thinking, if you start him in summer, will he have to start all over when you come back to Sing? Anyway, pool time will be fun I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous18/9/12 17:31

    Hihi,

    I've been following your blog for a while. I'm actively looking for a swimming instructor for my girl, and a few of her playmates! Is it possible to pass me the contact of your instructor? You can email me at limapril81@yahoo.com.

    Thanks alot!

    Cheers,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's a good age to start them on swimming classes? yvonne is right about having more anxiety when they are older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal opinion is that they should be over 3 at least, because they take instructions better at that age. I'll ask my swimming coach and let you know what he thinks :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...