Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Work Starts Now

The moment you realise that it's not fun and games this year -- when your son brings home a whole lot of homework to complete over the weekend.

It gave me a bit of a shock when I opened his assignment bag on Thursday and found that in addition to an English and a Chinese reader (which he brought back regularly last year), he had 2 pages of English penmanship homework, 1 page of Chinese writing, and 1 short exercise to complete based on the Chinese reader. In addition, I was also required to pen him a response in his Learning Log, a book which his father and I had to help him decorate the previous week. Yes, even the parents get homework.

Homework1"Argh, why do I have so much work to do!"

I guess they mean it when they say the serious work starts in K1. 

It isn't difficult to complete, but it is always a challenge getting the restless boy to sit down to work through what needs to be done. Did I also mention that he now has pieces of homework from Berries to complete as well, and from music class?

When you think: "Poor Noey!", do spare a thought for poor Mummy here as well, who has to make sure that the work is done!

A part of me wishes IHE didn't have to do it. "He's still young! Let him have his childhood!" goes the refrain. I agree, and for that reason, my kids have a lot of random miscellaneous play time around these parts. It's not so much learning-through-play as it is playing-through-play that happens in our home. But there's something else I also believe, and that is that learning isn't always fun. It could be challenging, exciting, even satisfying when you have a breakthrough, but often, it is also hard work. And being able to sit down and work through a piece of work well, and derive satisfaction from a job well done, is a useful trait to cultivate.

Of course, I wonder if 4+ years is the right age for this lesson in life! And for quite so much writing. But our approach (both DD and I) is that the work has to be completed, and done well with the correct attitude. It doesn't have to be perfect. We recognise his limits and know that he needs time for his motor skills to develop and his control to improve.   

Thankfully, this first week of having to complete his homework was relatively painless. There were complaints, attempts to run off, and he made a good pitch of trying to convince me that the four blank boxes at the bottom of his page of Chinese writing did not have to be filled in, but it was all completed fairly quickly. It was also a gratifying moment for me when his Chinese teacher commented that his "家庭作业写得非常好!" That was certainly my hard work!

Let's hope he, and I, keep this up for the rest of the year. 

9 comments:

  1. silver_crv22/1/13 23:47

    I guess most K school starts about the same these days. Edgar has a file of homework for the weekend these days. Although not a lot but with added hanyu pinyin and other extras. They do eats into his freetime on weekend,,, haiz...HEELP!!! hahhaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and eats into our time as well! Sigh!

      Delete
  2. K doesn't have homework yet, for which I'm thankful. Not sure how long this will last though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it man. Isaac is K2 this year. My primary-school-free days are ending this year. Sighz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you first before me! Stress...

      Delete
  4. The look on Noey's face is priceless! Kumon was a very good way to ingrain the habit of sitting down and doing work in Alison and Zoe, as well as the value of daily effort. Ally learned a rather hard lesson when she let her Kumon worksheets pile up over 2 weeks and then could not finish all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I thought the pic was too good to pass up on :) I didn't realise Kumon adopts a system of daily work. Personally it looks a bit scary to me!

      Delete
    2. It's not scary at all - if the child is dilligent, the daily worksheet can be completed in 15 minutes or fewer. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...