Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Two Choices

You know how the experts like to tell you that to get past kids saying "No" and doing what you don't like, you should only give them two options? These would be options both of which you will be ok with them opting for, naturally. "By allowing your toddler to make limited choices, she'll feel empowered, and you'll be satisfied with the result", they said.

Well, this recommended method NEVER worked with Noey. It looks like it's not working with Naomi either. Maybe I'm asking the questions wrong.

But back to Noey: Even when he was a tot, when I tried to offer him two choices which he didn't like, he would reject both and refuse to pick either of them, and instead stick to his original answer.

Last Wednesday night, he decided to try it on me.

After complaining a good deal while I was trying to get him to sleep, he turned to me and said, "I prefer to listen to music or read a book. Choose."

I wanted to laugh. What, was he serious?

"Eh, no, you're going to sleep." I told him.

"No! There are only TWO choices!" he insisted, holding up two fingers for emphasis.  

This time I did laugh.

"Nice try Noey, but sorry, it's sleeping time and I choose sleep. Now, close your eyes and go to sleep." 

It felt good to turn the tables on him, even if he did scowl himself back to sleep!

Noeysleeping

These kids. You just have to stay one step ahead of them all the time!


10 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I LOVE this! You know Bubs said to me one night: "Mum, can you read ONE more book pleease? OK or YES?"

    I reckon if Noey and Bubs see each other more often, they will either be best friends or drive each other up the wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh out loud! He's clever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was funny! Glad you won that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's one smart cookie, keeping you on your toes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how we want to empower our kids but then don't want to give them too much empowerment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aiyoh. Same for Poppy. She'll ask for a story, and I explain I'm flat out of ideas or tired or have a sore throat, she'll listen and go uh huh uh huh... "And so? The story?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, they have the funniest responses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny Noey! My kids are doing this to me too, rejecting my options and sticking to what they want. I give up asking them. I just say they must do whatever I say. No empowerment there. I don't care about it now. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mummy is the only one who has the power, sorry kids!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...