Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, December 07, 2013

ToTT Presents: Best Brunch Ever

I don't know about you, but there's nothing much that I like better than starting the day with a leisurely breakfast.

Sadly, I don't get the chance to enjoy this much on regular days as my mornings are usually a mad rush. On Mondays to Fridays, I'm busy ferrying Noey to school, DD to work and Meips to classes. Noey's got music class on Saturday morning and Sunday morning is reserved for church. It's usually grab and go for me. So I'm really enjoying the school holidays now, where we've had a bit more time to start the day right. 

As it happened, I had the perfect opportunity to get some fresh ideas for brunch at the launch of ToTT's new cookbook, Best Brunch Ever - Delicious Morning Recipes To Savour. ToTT is one of my go-to places for cookware, bakeware and tableware, and having been to a class there before, I knew I was in for a treat. And ok, getting to go for a cooking event without the kids on a Saturday was definitely a treat in itself!

BestBrunch1

Best Brunch Ever is collaboration between ToTT and 8 well-known chefs in Singapore, featuring 24 yummy looking brunch recipes. These recipes come from a variety of cuisines, 8 in total, ranging from American to Singaporean to Italian and Vietnamese, ensuring that there is something for everyone. Along with each recipe, the chefs also share handy cooking tips and recommended tools for ease of preparation.

On the afternoon of the launch, we had the privilege of watching demonstrations of 4 of the recipes featured in the book, each expertly prepared by the chefs themselves, namely:

  • Spaghetti Piccanti by Chef Antonio Fachinetti of Prego
  • Eggs 'A La Coque' by Chef Nicolas Joanny of Nicolas Le Restaurant
  • Cornbread Wedges and Bacon Jam by Chef Dan Segall of The Big Idea Group
  • Bahn Cuon by Chef Chi Quang Trinh of Addictions Cafe and Remedy Bar

All so different but all so very good. I actually started feeling guilty and yet really thankful to my husband for taking both kids off my hands so that I could enjoy such a yummy brunch.

ToTTBrunch1Spaghetti Piccanti, made with calamari, anchovies, bread crumbs, chilli, garlic and fennel.It was almost too easy and definitely something I can see myself putting together at home.

ToTTBrunch2Some of the nearly perfectly topped-off eggs for the Eggs 'A La Coque'. The chef's assistant made it look so easy! She simply ran a knife around the egg, applied a little pressure, and off came the top! Somehow I'm not so sure that's exactly the outcome I'd get if I tried!

ToTTBrunch3Chef Nicolas Joanny plating our tasting portions, and giving us a glimpse of how it must be to plate many servings of food in a restaurant.

ToTTBrunch4The deceptively simple-looking Eggs 'A La Coque'. This is truly gourmet, I assure you!

ToTTBrunch5Chef Dan Segall demonstrating the use of the Hotmix Pro in the making of the Bacon Jam for his dish. The machine is pretty amazing. It can grind the bacon, chop the onion and garlic and cook it all in the same pot. No mess and no fuss over having to stand at the stove for an hour to reduce the ingredients to the right consistency.

ToTTBrunch6Cornbread Wedges and Bacon Jam. The latter is really out of this world delicious. A bit like Bak Kwa, a friend noted, but with more of a savoury flavour. I have to try to make this.

ToTTBrunch7Bahn Cuon - Vietnamese rice rolls with a filling of onions, minced pork and black fungus. Mmmm.

ToTTBrunch8All four of our chefs for the session together.

After trying the food, I think that the $12.90 that the cookbook is retailing at is quite a steal. Grab your copy at ToTT! The husband excitedly flipped through it when I brought a copy home and earmarked some recipes he was interested in, including The Great Singaporean Breakfast by local chef Eric Low. The homemade kaya certainly looks interesting and is on my to-try list. Alongside the bacon jam, of course!

At the same session, we were also introduced to the all-new ToTT online store -- ToTTstore.com -- and given the very welcome news that you can now shop ToTT online! Hurray! With over 1,500 products (about a quarter of their full inventory) available, you can now shop for your cooking, baking and hosting essentials from the comfort of your home. All purchases above $200 enjoy free delivery too!

Three unique features of this new e-commerce site that we were introduced to:

  • One-click login is possible with Facebook Connect, which links straight to your Facebook account. Create an account instantly and start shopping!
  • Wishlist -- Users can easily create a wishlist of items carried by the online store that can be shared with others. Sounds like convenient way to create a gift registry for a wedding or housewarming, or just to let your partner know what to get you for Christmas. *wink*
  • The detailed Product Comparison feature which allows users to view not just the differences but also the similarities between products, to allow users to have a fuller picture of products they are choosing between. 
I don't deny it -- I love online shopping and am thrilled to have another of my favourite stores available online. This is actually a great time to be checking out ToTTstore.com because from now till 25 December, ToTT will be offering discounts of up to 50% on selected products, 1-for-1 on Christmas-themed cooking classes and novel gift ideas at its annual Christmas sale. I know I'll certainly be popping in for some shopping!

Tools of the Trade (ToTT)
896 Dunearn Road, #01-01A
Sime Darby Centre
Singapore 589472
Tel: 6219 7077
Web: www.ToTTstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...