Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Real Clothes, Real Love

My Mum and I have had our differences, as I suspect most mothers and daughters do at some stage of our lives. But having a baby has made me view both my Mum and Dad in a new light and treasure them more for what they do for me. They have been absolutely amazing support for me since Noah was born -- they babysit so that I can get a bit of a breather out of the house, do marketing for me for fresh fish and other stuff I can't readily get at the supermarket, and have stocked up their house with so much baby gear that I hardly have to bring anything there when I go over, except milk I guess! Noah's got his own cot there, and supplies and clothing, though maybe not that much entertainment -- yet. My Dad's so fond of droppping by Kiddy Palace that he's made friends with the sales assistants there and yes, they have their own discount card.

Perhaps it's understandable given how they are first time grandparents and obviously love the bub to bits. But I know they do it for me too. Just this Thursday my Mum gave me a ring and told me she was going to bring me shopping that afternoon. I thought she was giving me an opportunity to finish my Christmas shopping but no, it was that she was tired of me wearing the same few pieces of clothing (mostly t-shirts) and wanted to get me some new stuff.

Shopping! For clothes! For me! Woo hoo. I was excited. So with my Dad watching over Noah at home, we went out and shopped up a storm at Robinsons Raffles City. It was one of those shopping sessions where we'd each grab a few items and troop to the dressing rooms together and comment and compliment the other's outfits, leave the ones we want with the cashier and go again. It was FUN. And you know, I really needed to get into some real clothes to feel like myself again. Even if they had to be nursing friendly.

At the end of the day, I thanked my Mum for giving me just what I needed. And for loving me enough to do it.

Now I wish I had a daughter to go shopping with!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, give Noah a lil' sister soon then!! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so so so sweet. I've not shopped with my mum alone for years! Thanks for reminding me that I need to give my mom some love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you about how having a baby makes r/s between us and parents tighter. :)

    Your mum's so funny (re the "you need new clothes") and nice to bring you out shopping and your dad...deserves much kudos for watching over Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your mum's such a sweetheart :)
    Miss ya, Daph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parenthood makes us more appreciative of our parents and treasure family time more than before. I just wish I were closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amanda:: errr. no, can't quite contemplate that just yet!

    yuling:: yeah, having noah has made me more sensitive to the fact that our parents need our love too.

    lilsnooze:: i get my love for shopping (and clothes and bags) from my Mum! it was totally like her to comment on my clothes or lack thereof!

    daph:: yeah, she was. miss you loads too babe!

    MG:: yup, i agree! come back soon, or at least more often!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...