Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Looking Back 11 Years

Today, I was suddenly seized with the desire to sift through and clear a bag of old stuff that my Mum had gathered from my old room and unceremoniously dumped at my place some weeks ago. I don't know why I suddenly chose to do that. With Noey milling around me and flitting between Planet Earth on telly and asking for my attention, and Nomi alternately sucking her fist on the mattress beside me in the hall and asking to be picked up, it wasn't like I was actually free.

But providentially, I decided to do it anyway. And there in the middle of a lot of random old papers was a stack of cards and notes that DD had written to me, in the earlier days of our relationship. There was a random note scribbled A4, written while we were studying in the library during our final exams, a couple of birthday cards, one for valentine's day, one written on hotel paper while he was on a work trip in Japan, and another sent from the US when he was there visiting his aunt (even bearing in it a little dried rose), and quite a few anniversary cards from way back when we used to celebrate each month that went by.

Just a handful of the pile

Tomorrow, DD and I will mark 11 years together. That's 132 months, if we were to count them as we did before. These days, we've gotten lazier, and I think we each have a small collection of cards which we meant to write to each other, but never got around to doing. We certainly don't celebrate each month that passes any more, though we occasionally remember and will wish each other "Happy Anniversary!" when we do. (Occasionally we also use it as an excuse to go out and have a good meal together.)

Reading the cards brought back fond memories of young love, with their heartfelt declarations of everlasting devotion. They made me smile. Today we are living that forever. I think it many ways it has been everything I have expected and more, and I'm so very glad to be here.

Now, I really should go write that card this time! And let's go have that good meal together, shall we, my dear?

4 comments:

  1. 11years!!! Oh my! Remember yours truly asking once upon a time - "are you talking to your 'frieeeennndnnddddd'?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessed Anniversary!

    I do have some old stuff back at my mum's too....Im just thinking when she will dump them back at my place! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... :) Happy anniversary to the two of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Daphne haha, yes, and I'm sure you'll remind me about that all of my days! Can you imagine that time has passed so quickly?

    @lilsnooze Your turn soon :) My mum has decided to quit asking me about my stuff and just bring it over! Mainly cos she had to clear the room for my Sis to take over, if not I think I might have been able to get away with it for a while more!

    @MamaJ thanks babe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...