Powered by Blog - Widget


Thursday, January 26, 2012

除夕夜:团圆饭

The last day of the year of the Rabbit was marked by the traditional reunion dinner. This year however, instead of our usual dinner at my MIL's place, dinner was shifted to our place.

My MIL traditionally hosts -- and cooks -- the 1st Day lunch for the extended family. It is a long and involved affair, as you can imagine, cooking for close to 30 people. Remembering how tired she was last year, I suggested we have reunion dinner out at a restaurant this year. However, I totally underestimated how kiasu I had to be about booking a slot. I started calling the restaurants just before Christmas, and to my dismay, even though there was still a month to go, virtually everywhere was booked up. Certainly the places on my first choice list were unavailable and the restaurants that did had only very late seatings, or outdoor/corridor tables. And they were not cheap. So we decided that we (or rather I, since cooking is my department) were going to serve up reunion dinner at home.

I opted for the easier steamboat option, but it still caused me a fair amount of stress as this was the first time I was preparing steamboat at home! Also, my helper, being new, had no clue what steamboat was at all, so I had to work with her through the entire prep. We cooked the stocks (chicken and tom yam), and also made chicken rice to go along with it. I also steamed a whole grouper, and seized the opportunity to get a plate of yu sheng -- our first of the season.

I love yu sheng and so does Noey. He was initially disinterested when I mentioned lo-hei,until he saw the plate, and it must have clicked in his mind that it was something he actually enjoyed. Our most enthusiastic lo-hei-er, he started trying to pick the crackers out of the dish as we were tossing it! He was duly caught in the act with his mouth full. Little Nomi also had a tiny bit of a cracker, which she curiously munched and swallowed. It wouldn't be long before she's joining in all the action.


It was a good dinner, if I may say so myself! Even the husband gave it the thumbs up, and he's really not a fan of steamboat. Everyone was so stuffed at the end of it.

For me, I was just glad that I was able to put food on the table for the whole family. Overall, I also think that dinner was extra sweet with Ah Kong able to join us. It was a reunion indeed, and a fitting end to the year.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is really well done of you! Esp the steamed grouper! Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting it, and for inviting us (especially Dave)! We really appreciate the time and effort you've put in! The food was excellent, so stuffed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy gathering! gong xi fa cai and many blessings in the new year!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lilsnooze So stressful cooking for a good cook! Haha. I took it as a compliment that my MIL asked me how long I steamed the fish for (8 mins) as a gauge for her fish the next day. She said it was just right. Phew!

    @Nat Aww, we were happy to have you all over!

    @Ai Sakura Thank you! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...