Powered by Blog - Widget


Sunday, January 29, 2012

Ushering in the Dragon

I have always had a love-hate relationship with Chinese New Year. I love the food -- steamboat! yu sheng! love letters! bak kwa! kum! -- and hate the obligations and burdens on my time. Maybe it's a sign of age, but as the years go by, I find that I don't mind Chinese New Year quite as much as I used to, once upon a time. The question: "Why meet relatives whom we only see once a year?" has slowly, over the years been answered -- "At least we meet these relatives once year." I guess after year upon year of visits and interaction, I have found that relationships do develop, when you make the effort.

Also, with the children around, I feel more of a need to connect with family and ensure that they know their roots. The fact that I now seldom get the chance to meet my Uncles and Aunties (especially those on my Dad's side), some of whom I am quite fond of, has made me way more sentimental about the opportunity that Chinese New Year affords to do just that.

Yes, I really am getting old, aren't I?

Because of the little ones, we were spared the full schedule of visiting because we needed to factor in their naps. We still had a tiring couple of days, and I definitely complained, but it had it's moments and I can honestly say that I did enjoy it. Noey was a good sport about it all. He still has a nonchalant attitude towards ang pows -- long may that continue! -- but he enjoyed meeting his 2nd cousins at all the homes we went to, and of course, all the Chinese New Year snacks he was treated to. "During Chinese New Year, I can drink Green Tea!" he insisted. He also very obligingly performed his 恭喜, 恭喜, 恭喜你 song, and also another 新年好 song when asked. Repeatedly, when he was asked by his proud grandparents to sing for everyone. I was honestly quite impressed that his school had managed to teach him these songs in the 3 weeks that he'd been there!
And Naomi, she was a trooper. This girl is really a people person. She just gets so excited when everyone is around. She was full of smiles and REFUSED to sleep, only to crash within minutes of hitting her carseat. Thankfully she wasn't cranky. She also endeared herself to all and sundry by allowing them to carry her. This was her first Chinese New Year and I think she enjoyed it. She certainly enjoyed all the illegal treats she was fed!

The main festivities are over, so now all that remains is for us to catch our breath and eat all the yu sheng we (ok, I) can before the season is over.

祝大家龙年幸福,快乐!


4 comments:

  1. I love Naomi's dress in that last set of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @yAnn I like that one too :) It's from Elly's cheongsam collection: http://www.ellyloves.com/products/category/cheongsam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Yann, Naomi's cheongsam look adorable on her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Susan Thanks Susan! It's fun having a little girl to dress up :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...