Powered by Blog - Widget


Friday, March 23, 2012

Restaurant Week: Boathouse

It's Restaurant Week this week!

It's taken me till this 4th edition to bag me some seats, but hey, better late than never! If you're unfamiliar with the concept, this is essentially a week where participating restaurants offer 3-course set menus at $25++ for lunch and $35++ for dinner. At certain designated upmarket/fine-dining restaurants, it's $40++ for lunch and $55++ for dinner. It is, overall a good deal.

Since my sister's birthday conveniently fell within the week, I made a date with her for lunch, both as a treat to her and to myself. So on Tuesday, we both rocked up to Boathouse for lunch. Between us, we ordered every item on the menu and settled down for some good food and girly chit-chat.

It was my first time to Boathouse and I honestly wasn't that impressed. The chef seemed to have salted every dish, in particular the mushroom soup and the beef brisket, with a rather heavy hand. The sorbets also arrived at the table half-melted, which was disappointing. On the plus side, the raw trout wasn't bad and I liked the chocolate bar. Service was also pleasant and prompt.


What I enjoyed more was the time I had to catch up with my sister. Unfortunately we still spent too much time talking about my kids, but their Yiyi does love them very much, so she wanted to know how they were doing. An hour passed by too quickly. On days such as this, I miss the times when we lived under the same roof and I could just troop over to my sister's room to chat. I know most times when I did that she would much rather be sleeping or watching TV, but she entertained me anyway. (I was always the one who needed to talk. She, not so much.) We weren't always the best of friends, especially during our love-hate younger days, but no one got me -- and no one, except maybe DD, gets me and understands where I'm coming from now, still -- like she does.

So while the food could have been better, it was a good lunch.

My kid-free hour was all the more appreciated when I came home to chaos. There was paper strewn all over the floor of Noey's room - "a paper river", he insisted -- and poor Meips was looking all tired but unable to sleep because Noey would harass my helper for company every time she tried to put Nomi down. Just another typical day at home!

I have one more reservation for dinner on Friday with DD. I hope the food will be better this time.

4 comments:

  1. We went there for dinner and personally thought their ala carte menu was much better. Then it was Au Jardin for lunch the following day and I have to say it beats boathouse hands down.

    Sometimes I think of what K is missing without a sister but with the madness of three kids ATM, I cannot find a good reason to have anymore. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your Au Jardin food looked SO GOOD! Was that also a restaurant week meal? We went to Table at 7 tonight and the food was so much better than at Boathouse.

      Re having another kid, that is also that consideration that you might have a THIRD boy instead! I think you're doing an awesome job with 3 kids btw!

      Delete
    2. Yes it was! And they offered better choices as well. It was really good value. :)

      Delete
    3. Wow, I remember the Au Jardin food looking really good in your pics! Very good value indeed!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...