Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, March 17, 2012

We're Doing BSF!

One of my resolutions for the year was to improve my spiritual walk with God. This is something that has been put on the back burner for far too long, and I can feel myself suffering for it. This was something I had to do, for me.

It took a while for me to get my act together and it was shortly after Chinese New Year when I dropped a note to the BSF contact in my area to ask how I could join the class. I had heard of BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) classes from several sources, chiefly Sophie's Mum who has been attending for a number of years now. That weekly commitment to meet for bible study seemed like what I needed. And praise God for his timing -- the day I contacted the class administrator, she replied to tell me that I needed to attend an introductory class before I could register, and the good news that they were having an introductory class that coming Monday. I learnt that they conduct this only 3 times a year so if I had dragged my feet, I would have missed it. It certainly looked like God's hand was leading me forward. I was even more delighted to find out that the timing of the class would fit exactly into that time slot after I drop Noey off at school and before I pick him up.

At the introductory class, I realised that you would have to wait for them to place you in a group before you could formally join the classes, and that this could take several weeks to several months, depending on if a suitable vacancy came up. I was a bit disappointed, especially since I wanted to start right away to make full use of my time. But I told myself that God had his timing. And somehow I had a feeling I would not have to wait too long.

I was right -- about 3 weeks later, I got a call from my new group leader welcoming me to the group. Better yet, Nomi also got a spot in the popular pre-school programme.

That was 2 weeks ago.

Nomi and I are still adjusting, but I can already see that this would be tremendously good for me -- to be forced, as it were, into a regular study of the word.

Homework time!

It's huge for Nomi too because she attends class on her own, for 2 hours.

I did panic for a bit that first week when I turned up with her and handed her over to the lovely ladies in the Babies' Class. She was distracted and being her usual curious and friendly self, went in without any fuss. Mummy here, on the other hand, started stressing about how these were folks who didn't know her or her routine at all, and started scribbling furiously on the parents' instructions sheet while praying for the best. Apparently she did pretty well. During the first week, she was reportedly happy until the mid-way mark when she got tired and probably realised that Mummy was nowhere to be found!  She was in tears when I picked her up at the end, which was heartbreaking. The next week, she started crying at the hand-over, but I was told that she settled quite quickly after that and was happy and listened to the story well. There were no tears this time when I came to get her. I think this girl is a real trooper. Still, I'm continuing to pray for her adjustment.

Big girl back from attending class all by herself

So baby and I have a new weekly date with God!

Others who know about BSF have commented that it is a big commitment, but for me, I'm just taking it a bit at a time. Providentally, one of the passages which came up as a reference in the first bible study that I completed was Jeremiah 29:13 -- "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." This is my comfort and encouragement.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm so happy for you and will pray that you will grow in the Lord this year. I just joined a cell group myself after years of stopping since giving birth. It has been a tremendous blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that u are starting BSF. I have taken BSF for about 2 years for the book of John and Isaiah, and then unfortunately had to drop this year due to other commitments. I am sure the xperience will be a blessing for u. May u continue to grow in the love that the Lord has for u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great! I hope I will be able to do this for a while but I'm just going to take it one step at a time and make it through this year first. Am loving it so far!

      Delete
  3. Great to hear this! I did BSF before I got married.

    The ladies in my church are always telling me how wonderful their baby/kiddy drop off programme is (20 years ago!). Such a great thing to be part of / great use of your time in your current SAHM season.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...