Powered by Blog - Widget


Sunday, June 17, 2012

Disconnect, Disengage

We are just back from 4 days in Batam for our church's annual conference. It's only been 4 days, but it feels much longer than that because it's been the first time in the long while that I was almost completely disconnected from the internet for days at a stretch.

Why this happened certainly wasn't planned.

On the night before we left, I grabbed at my phone in the dark after putting Nomi to sleep, and... it fell to the floor. It's not like this hasn't happened before, so I wasn't too concerned. Except. This time when I picked it up, the screen was blue.

Yes, the blue screen of death also haunts iPhones, if you're not careful.

My heart sank. After some desperate attempts to restart it and more even more desperate googling, I realised that the LCD was wrecked. The phone seemed to be working fine, but because I couldn't see a thing on the screen, it was effectively useless. We were to report at the ferry terminal at 9.30am in the morning so there was no way I was going to be able to bring my phone down to the service centre on time before leaving for Batam. I reached for the old 3GS but because the 4S uses a micro-sim, I couldn't use it. On hindsight, I probably should have spent some time googling how to re-size a micro-sim to fit a full sized sim-card slot. I have since found some instructions on how do just that

But on Monday night, with packing still yet to be completed, I was resigned to not having a phone throughout my time away. Not that I was about to give up my internet habit quite so easily at that time though. I was informed that the hotel provided free wifi, so I lugged along my iPad and my Macbook, thinking that I could log on when I had some free time in the room.

It seems however, that God had other ideas.

While the hotel did provide free wifi, I found that it really only worked in the common areas. After I found myself standing at the door to my room and sticking my iPad out into the corridor to try to get a connection, I decided to take the hint. I put aside my devices and stopped trying to get online. The funny thing is that DD tells me he had no trouble getting online with the iPad while in the room, so I think that it was me that God just really didn't want online! 

Disconnecting and being virtually uncontactable took a bit of getting used to. It was more than just cutting back, which I consciously make an effort to do most days. I hated not being able to snap and post on Instagram on the go and I kept wondering if I was getting new e-mails and missing tweets. But thankfully, I got over it pretty quickly. By the time the conference ended, I pretty much didn't care any more that I had no phone. Instead, I found that I enjoyed the change of pace. 

So in a way which I didn't intend, I got a good break. I did more reading, talked to those around me, and spent more time just stoning. I probably needed it.

Now that I'm back, I'm wondering if I can engineer more situations where I put away the phone for an extended period. Because sometimes I think having that time to just stop and stare, rather than share and share is a good thing too.

IMG 3864

10 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the issues that blogger mums face (or is it everybody actually?), that we face tremendous pressure to be online, to be in the know, to view, hear, read, and share. So glad you had those blessed moments of peace and unhurriedness, makes me crave for some too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this happens when you're big on social media - blog, FB, twitter, etc! There is pressure, you're right, to feel like you're listening and to join in the conversations. It does get tiring! It's like being part of a group chat/discussion that doesn't end. I certainly need to do more to step away sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I was so obsessed with my gadgets before my recent trip and being in europe, where most cafes have no wifi, has taught me to put my phone aside and just enjoy the company of D during dinner. In fact, i stopped touching my ipad when i was there and now that I'm back, I keep my phone in my bag during meals too. Big changes IMO. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Pam! I totally identify. Too often D has asked me what I'm fiddling with on my phone and I have to admit that it's nothing much in particular, but STILL I'm at it all the time. We need wifi-less zones and times more often.

      Delete
  3. As part of my slow road to a less connected life, I've created an alternate instagram account with no followers! Which has led me to the discovery that the need to share is closely linked with the need to be liked. I guess disconnecting is a lot about going back to basics and doing things for yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that link to be liked, but now that you've mentioned it, I realise that is very true! For me, I noticed that when I couldn't share photos, I reached for my camera for less often. Which made me stop and think who I was taking photos for - myself and the kids? or for others? Also, putting away the camera helped me get into the activity and the moment more. Too often I'm guilty of viewing things from behind my screen.

      Delete
  4. Wow it's really like God was trying to tell you something! funny how Daryl could access wifi in the room!

    For me, I get easily bored with meetings/ work, so I often find that I can survive with half a mind in the meeting, and half a mind out (like now oops). so guess it might be something to do with needing constant engagement/stimulation to keep myself entertained/engaged at work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I have that problem too. I think it might be that we've trained ourselves to need to do more than one thing at a time. Are you a big multi-tasker too?

      Delete
  5. Ahh, thanks for sharing this! I especially like the part which you mentioned that you talked to people more... very oftentimes, we are 'fellowshiping' with our gadgets than with people, seriously.

    After the share and share, we check and check to see if anyone replies to posts, liked our status, etc.

    We all need to disconnect at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lixia! What you said is very true - Evelyn in her comment above mentioned the need to be liked, which I think is fundamental to all this reaching out and sharing. Lots of food for thought :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...