Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sleeping Like a Baby

Definitely one of the highlights of my trip:

IMG 5552

Naomi, sleeping through the night, in her own cot bed.

She isn't really a bad sleeper, but in recent months, she's developed the bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night and asking to be transferred to my bed in my room. She'd reuse to settle until I bring her over, whereupon she would simply make herself comfortable and put herself to sleep. It's terribly annoying.

She pulled the same stunt the first night we were there, but thereafter, she was out from 8pm at night and continued sleeping all the way till 6am the next morning, two nights in a row. 6am was a bit early for me, but I took it in my stride in return for the continuous stretch of sleep afforded to me. That was certainly God's grace at work as I was nursing a bad cold and needed the rest.

After those two nights, I had half a mind to buy that Pack 'n' Play and bring it back with me! I have also since been experimenting with letting Naomi sleep on a pillow. I thought it worked the first night we came back, but I think the real reason was that she was too flat out tired. The day after that, she was back at her usual waking ways.  Ah well.

Back when I was struggling with sleep issues with Noey, I read book after book, trying to figure out when he was supposed to be sleeping through the night and what I should be doing to help him achieve that. Nothing really worked. I came to accept that I had a son who needed to hold my elbow to sleep and who needed me to sleep next to him. He's much better now and does not wake in the middle of the night, but yes, he's still in my bed. With Naomi, I'm a lot less fussed. At least after waking up at night, she drops back to sleep without any assistance most of the time, after I move her to my bed. I no longer wonder if this is "normal", whatever that means. I've come to accept this as a phase of life.

Eventually I'll reclaim my bed and have good sleep. Maybe in a couple of years?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...