Powered by Blog - Widget


Thursday, July 26, 2012

Siem Reap 2012: Raffles Grand Hotel D'Angkor

We enjoyed a slice of luxury on this holiday as a result of booking ourselves into Raffles Grand Hotel D'Angkor in Siem Reap.

I had very much wanted to stay in this hotel in Siem Reap because it was one of the few places where a Raffles hotel would be within my reach, budget-wise! I had justified it as being for Noey because I would have needed a nice(er) room and big pool if I was to bring him. We left him behind in the end, but I didn't see why I should have to give up my nice room. Heh. Then again, it was only because I managed to book a promo where we got 3 nights for the price of 2 plus free breakfast that we sealed the deal in the end.

I was very glad we stay here because it was such a lovely hotel. It's got plenty of history, having opened its doors around 1932. The building was decked out colonial-style, and while different, it still managed to to remind me of the Raffles Hotel back here in Singapore. Maybe it was the white and black floor tiles! 

The service was also impeccable. From the reception, to the shop assistants, the wait staff at the cafe, housekeeping, random staff we met and spoke to on the grounds -- everyone was warm, friendly and willing to help. We were very comfortable and it was a real treat staying here. Or maybe it was the interrupted sleep I got that made it all seem so perfect!

IMG 0680The view of the main building from poolside

IMG 0236A view of the little in-house exhibition on the many faces of Buddha. This is in an outdoor area in the junction between the corridors leading from the old building to the new wing.

IMG 0240One of the many buddha's on display.

382426 10150925401522191 82864058 nOld school lift. It still works!

IMG 0227Our comfy room. This is the State Room. It was the cheapest category, but it was very comfortable.

IMG 0235There was free wifi in the hotel, so I wasted no time in connecting! I wish we remembered to take a photo of the iMac that they have for common use in the sitting area along the corridor. And get this: there's one on every floor!

RafflesOld-fashioned switches and taps. LOVE.

IMG 0293Breakfast!

IMG 3381Part of the breakfast spread. The spread wasn't large, but it was more than adequate. 

IMG 3382Some of my Western selections. The green drink at the top is a mocktail they call "Good Morning". It's got a mix of some juices and some mint. Very refreshing.

IMG 0296My noodle soup. Such comfort food! I still think Asian breakfast is the BEST. They had eggs available in all styles, and I asked for mine soft-boiled. Popped them into a bowl and slurped them up. Delicious.

 

IMG 0667Managed to squeeze in a swim on the last day and the water temperature was PERFECT. Not sure how they managed that!

Did I also mention that they serve champagne at breakfast? I'm officially spoilt. Don't think I could go back to a regular hotel next time I'm back in Siem Reap!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place for the trip and yes, I am sure the uninterrupted sleep & the plushy bed makes it a bliss to sleep! :)

    I like the noodle soup and the breakfast porridge. And the minced beef with sunnyside up dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I'm partial to Asian breakfast too. It's just the best lah!

      Delete
  2. This is really very nice and useful information you share here about this Raffles Grand Hotel D'Angkor. It's very useful information for tourist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea there was a Raffles in Siem Reap, and that it was so affordable! Glad I found this on Triptease, hope to see more :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...