Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Making Sweet & Salty Popcorn

How do you love your popcorn?

I love mine salty with with a touch of sweetness, whereas DD only likes the sweet version. It is always a point of contention between us when we go to the movies. Or was anyway, since we hardly go at all these days!

The kids have tried popcorn a couple of times at fun fairs, and unsurprisingly, they love it. It's usually way too sweet for my liking though, and you'll find me trying valiantly to pick out the less sweet pieces for the children, without too much success. I close both eyes when they start munching and tell myself not to get hung up over an occasional treat.

But just the other day, I walked past some popcorn at the supermarket and decided on the spur of the moment to grab the bag so that we could make our own popcorn at home. The kids would love watching the popping action, I could control the "dressing", and we'd all have a delicious snack hot out of the pot.

popcornDecided to make Noey work for his snack by measuring out the ingredients.
This popcorn was cooked according to the directions on the packet: 1/3 cup of popcorn to 3 tablespoons of oil.

IMG 3695Popcorn all nicely popped in less than 5 minutes!
We heated the oil and popcorn kernels over medium high heat in a covered pot and waited for the popping action to begin! If you do this, remember to keep shaking the pot to prevent the pieces below from burning. 

Since I was making my own mixture to toss the popcorn in, I chose to make to both salty AND sweet by combining honey with butter and a pinch of sea salt. Best decision ever -- it was delicious and even my firmly-in-the-sweet-camp husband thought it was awesome.

popcornAs usual, I used my "agar-ation" technique for this and heated about 2 tablespoons of honey in a pot with 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and a pinch of sea salt. After all the ingredients are combined, drizzle over popcorn and mix!

UPDATE:
Click to read the recipe!

popcornYummy coated sweet and salty popcorn!

popcornHappy popcorn smiles!

Got to make some more because I finished up the whole batch for supper after the kids went to bed! 

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, now u got me wanting to make popcorn for my night TV time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Can re-live some of the days when we actually did go to the movies. Haha.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/9/12 13:30

    Yummy!! Love homemade popcorn because you can play around with the flavours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is my first time trying homemade popcorn. Not looking back!

      Delete
  3. Heh I bought the exact same popping corn! Love to DIY - fresh popcorn tastes the best! And I love it sweet and salty too! Haven't tried this dressing though, I've been melting sugar and coating with butter. Shall try out your version! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet and salty is the best :) I try to use honey because I tell myself it's healthier than sugar, though honestly don't know if that's true!

      Delete
  4. I want to make my popcorns after reading this. Noah looks very handsome in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Susan! I love his current Korean popstar long hair. Haha. But will prob have o cut it before he goes back to school. You should try making popcorn. It's very easy!

      Delete
  5. Looks absolutely yum! I can't remember how long ago it was the last I made popcorn...thanks for this little idea to do with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tks! reminded me that I've left a 1/2 packed corn kernels in a cabinet corner. timely for me to pop them with my newly bought happy call pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't gotten the happy call pan! Yes, I think it'll be ideal for this!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...