Powered by Blog - Widget


Friday, March 15, 2013

Cook: Tomato and Watermelon Salad

A recipe for the weekend!

This is a watermelon salad that I made as an add-on to the catered food at Naomi's party. I was glad that it was completely cleaned out - I dished out some of the last bits to DD before I packed the bowl away and it got his stamp of approval too. Then again, watermelon is his favourite fruit EVER, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised!

I know that the classic pairing involves watermelon and feta cheese, but I'm one of those oddballs who isn't such a fan of feta. So I was very happy to chance upon this recipe which had tomatoes (Naomi's favourite), watermelon (DD's favourite) and avocado (something I really enjoy) instead. I made some modifications to the proportions and dressing an am sharing the recipe with the modifications below.

WatermelonSalad

Tomato and Watermelon Salad (based on this recipe found on Food.com)
(serves 8-10)

Ingredients:

1 box of cherry tomatoes (approx. 250g), halved
1 small cucumber, seeded and cubed
¼ of a large seedless watermelon, cubed
2 avocados, cubed
1 handful of fresh mixed herbs (basil, tarragon, chives and cilantro), chopped
¼ teaspoon of coriander seeds, ground
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Method:

1. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, avocado, and herbs.

2. Add the ground coriander to the tomato mixture and toss gently.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste to create the dressing.

4. Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.

Cooking Notes:

♥ I've used white wine vinegar in the dressing instead of balsamic vinegar because it just turned everything black. I believe the ideal substitute would be white balsamic vinegar, except that I've only seen this once, at Cookyn class! Otherwise, I've not seen this at the shops! Do let me know if you find it!

2 comments:

  1. Teach me how to look at a whole water melon and know tt it is seedless? I always fail :( And only buy cut and shrink wrapped ones which if given a choice I will not buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheat - I just ask my fruit seller for the seedless one and he gives them to me!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...