Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Birthday at SEA

It's always birthdays galore for us come August.

Actually the celebrations start a little earlier at the end of July with my Dad's birthday, then extend past National Day for my brother and DD. 

This year, for DD's birthday, I decided to book us dinner at Ocean Restaurant in the the SEA Aquarium at RWS. My dear husband loves aquariums and I thought that being able to dine while watching the fish swimming by would be a treat for him. And yes, for Noey, Meips and I too.

Since we have annual passes to the SEA Aquarium, we were able to take a stroll through the aquarium before arriving at the restaurant. I had hoped to make an afternoon of it, but with the husband having to work and the kids' schedules, we were only able to arrive at RWS just before 6pm. That's when I discovered that one hour before closing time is actually an amazing time to visit the aquarium because THERE ARE NO CROWDS. Ok, maybe because this was also on a weekday.

SEA1Definitely the only time I've ever seen the entrance to the aquarium this empty.

But as a result, I was able for the first time to walk leisurely through the glass-roofed tunnel at the entrance and admire the fish, something I wasn't able to do the last few times I visited. And snap some pics without having to creatively cut out crowds or inevitably getting some people on your picture. It was great.

SEA2My two munchkins being forced to stop for a shot.

In the process, I got to see some exhibits that I've never seen before. There were some extremely cool clusters of shark eggs where you could actually see the baby sharks growing and wriggling inside, and we finally realised that there IS an octopus at the aquarium. The octopus is DD's favourite weird creature and I know he was thrilled to see it. Now I don't know if they are new or whether I just missed them previously because I couldn't get near the tank!

SEA3Schooling Bannerfish

SEA4Shark eggs, with the wriggling, developing baby shark actually visible. It was super weird and cool.

SEA5Little Black Seahorse

SEA6Cuttlefish. Another oddity from under the sea. 

SEA7A big-eyed fish that now shares the tank with the Nautilius. I didn't manage to get its name.

SEA8Octopus!

SEA9Fascinated with the jelly fish. I can watch them floating around of a long time.

And not forgetting, the dolphins. It was really amazing to come to the corner and see them right there! Naomi didn't want to move from the tank before, but once I told her "dolphins!" she came running. The dolphins have series of interconnected pools of which they swim in, and only one with a viewing panel in the aquarium. So we didn't see all of them but were really excited when a couple swam right up to the glass a couple of times.

SEA15Here they come! A pair of dolphins come up close.

SEA14Looks like he's laughing, doesn't it?

SEA13Hello there dolphin!

Ocean Restaurant is right beside the huge tank with the world's largest acrylic panel, and we naturally took the time to admire it. They play Carnival of the Animals -- Aquarium on repeat and Noey has come to associate the piece of music with this viewing panel. It is quite lovely staring at the fish swimming by to the music. Very therapeutic!

SEA10The HUGE viewing panel. Pretty amazing actually. The little rectangles you see on the other side of the tank open into actual rooms, can you imagine! They reportedly cost about $2000 a night tho!

SEA11Oo, looks like they are going to hit each other! One ray had a big school of fish swimming over and under it, around and around. Wonder why?

SEA12Chilling away happily at the Ocean Dome.

It was hard to drag everyone away to dinner. Well, everyone except Meips who was complaining she was hungry. But the great attraction about Ocean Restaurant is that one wall is a viewing panel into this great tank, and it was really very cool.

More of that in the next post coming up!

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your hubby :) what a great way to celebrate!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha trust Meips to be hungry!

    wow never knew shark eggs were in pods like that! Amazing. And the octopus looks like a wrinkled old lady! Now I know why they made Ursula an evil octopus - this one does look quite sinister. (Though Ursula was plump huh?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shark eggs are fascinating! They have some empty ones in the touch pool for you to feel too, and the tiny sharks that have hatched out. They are about the size of a finger. Haha about Ursula! I didn't think about that!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Time to get us some annual pass to SEA so that I can get such beautiful shots taken! I didn't manage to see the dolphins that up close the last time I went!

    And the shark eggs... OMG!

    Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mabel! My husb took the pics and he'a a much better photog than me.

      Delete
  4. We are thinking of getting the annual passes to the aquarium too. I thought the rooms would have been awesome, except for the pricing!

    Only SG can do that many things around a huge aquarium panel - viewing, room & dining! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, in SG, must maximise everything! I heard the annual passes are sold out tho. Not sure when they'd be releasing more. Ours expire in Jan.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pics and what a memorable way to celebrate your hub's birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...