Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, August 10, 2013

NDP 2013 in the Park

This National Day we did something a little different and stepped out of the house to catch the fireworks and aerial display. 

If you know my husband, you'd know that he's EXTREMELY crowd-adverse, so going out there to jostle with everyone else is not his idea of a good time. But our friends suggested a picnic at a nice spot and I guess the hubby decided that it was worth the risk. 

It worked out really well and everyone had a great time. There was good food, good company, and space for the children to play. And a good view to boot.

NDP1Picnic! Our eclectic mix of pizza, nuggets, popcorn chicken, otak and chicken rice. Quite representative of Singapore, I think!

NDP2Our base camp.

NDP3Happy faces!

NDP4Here comes the flag!

NDP6The bomb burst. One of my favourite moments. 

NDP7In the lull periods, the kids scooted and played among themselves.

The only downside was missing the actual parade. I have a soft spot for the parade and had originally intended to bring along our iPad to stream the parade live but simply forgot when the time came to leave. We therefore didn't realise that the Red Lions' performance had been cancelled and kept wondering why they didn't show up! Hah. I guess I'll just have to catch the repeat telecast when they screen it.

Watching fireworks live though is still the best -- and indeed only -- way to see them. I didn't take any photos of the fireworks aside from a couple for remembrance because I really wanted to soak in the moment. And besides, I'm sure there were a ton better fireworks shots from others! The kids were completely mesmerised, maybe none more than Meips. "Colourful bubbles!" she exclaimed and when they ended, she kept directing me back to our spot and asking for more. "I want more fireworks!" she demanded. The older kids were busy identifying what they could see in the sparkles. There were hearts and stars and golden showers, though Noey's declaration that he saw a "Saturn shape!" was probably one of the more amusing ones. (My son is such a geek, I tell you!)

The dramatic segments aside, I think I one of the things I enjoyed best was to be out there, soaking in the atmosphere. All around us were local families and groups of youths, mostly dressed in festive red, some even with the moon and stars too. They were picnicking, blading, biking, walking their dogs, listening to music, and taking group jump shots. There was a carnival-like vibe in the air, which I thought was apt, given that we were celebrating a birthday after all. So while a Ritz staycation is probably still my favourite way to catch the show, this certainly wasn't bad at all.

And with that, we celebrate another year of our nation's independence.

Like many of others I know, I've got my gripes about this place. About the overly materialistic society that exalts the wrong values. About the fast pace of development that increasingly isolates with its need to tear down and re-build. And especially about the competitive and stressful education system that doesn't allow kids the time to grow at their own pace and, well, just be kids. As a young university student, I had dreamt of venturing out. Leaving this place to work, and maybe to live. For 2 or 3 years, maybe even longer. But the husband had other plans and since my future was tied to his, here I have remained.

I don't know if we'd ever move, but I do know that even if we do, this here, Singapore, will always be home. It is where we grew up, got married, had our babies. It is part of our history in a way that is not possible to erase. And there are the things I love too: the safe streets, the super efficient public services, the melting pot of cultures in one space, the fact that you can get access to world-class acts in music, theatre, and film on a regular basis, and of course, the absolutely irreplaceable array of the best food ever.

This is home, truly. Happy 48th Birthday Singapore. 

NDP8

 

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...