Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Lego Movie: Simply Awesome!

It's been a crazy couple of weeks for me, as evidenced by the slow updates here. I had a couple of work-related opportunities come my way, which I was very grateful for and which I hope to share about soon. Add to that my very last-minute preparations for Nomi's upcoming birthday, I haven't had much time recently. Or sleep.

But one thing we did squeeze out some time to do was to catch The Lego Movie. We just had to, right? And it was, in one word: AWESOME! 

LegoMovie

The storyline follows the really ordinary super-average and anonymous Lego construction worker Emmett. He's a very by-the-book kind of a fellow who loves to follow the instructions. (There are instructions for everything to life here, by the way. A dig at the sometimes complicated instructions that come with Lego sets, no doubt.) One day, and completely by accident, Emmett finds a mysterious block, which is not of the Lego world. His discovery of this "piece of resistance" identifies him as "The Special", the One who would save the Lego universe from the clothes of the evil Lord Business. Or is he? What follows is a madcap adventure with a lesson or two in creativity for adults and children alike.

There are many movies that can be enjoyed by adults and kids. This is one of those fortunate few that successfully reached out to both audiences. The kids loved the Lego of course, but adults would find the script, with its many spoofs and pop culture references funny and entertaining. I also loved the stop-motion-like film technique (which I thought was very appropriate) and how everything in the Lego world is constructed out of Lego -- think Lego puddles, Lego fire and the like. And then there's the third act, which I thought tied the whole story and the creativity message of Lego together very well. Helps that I can relate to it very well, having a very big boy in my house who is a huge Lego fan!  

It was a lot of fun. Go watch if you haven't! Now to stop "Everything is Awesome" from playing continuously in my head...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wow, Naomi can sit through a cinema movie? I haven't tried to bring the girls to a cinema, am afraid they might just bail out halfway, declare "ok, let's go!" loudly, or start complaining it's too dark, or ask me bring them to the toilet more than once....

    We couldn't even sit through Finding Nemo at home... i was explaining the story ALL THE TIME, and then we had to finish the 2nd half of the movie another day. AND, Amelie kept tearing because she was so affected by Nemo being separated from his Daddy haha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...