Powered by Blog - Widget


Friday, May 23, 2014

Motherhood Is Gain:
12 Benefits of Being A Mummy

IMG 0805 

A fellow Mum sent the above cartoon to a Whatsapp group I'm in as a Mother's Day greeting and I had to laugh. And promptly send it on to other Mums. Because it is quite true, isn't it? A Mum's job is tough and it never ends. 

But I think sometimes, we get a little too caught up with how hard and tiring motherhood can be and we forget to talk about how great it is too. Yes, motherhood is one of the toughest and most important jobs around, but it is also one of the most satisfying and rewarding ones too. 

As I reflected on my 5-going-on-6 years as a Mum this Mother's Day, I decided to come up with a list of benefits I've reaped from being a Mummy. This is what I've gained:

  • I appreciate my own parents more, especially my mother. Not just for what they do for me, which now extends to their grandkids, but being a Mummy myself has filled in the gaps in my understanding as to why my parents did certain things in the past. Especially stuff that I disliked but that was "for my own good". Yes, I now find myself saying the same thing to my own kids. I know I am still the delinquent daughter but I am trying.

  • It has helped me to understand God's love for his children and has strengthened my relationship with Him. It was only after I became a Mummy did I even start to understand the depth of a Father's love for his son. What a great sacrifice it must have been for the Lord God to allow Christ to die for the atonement of our sins! And how immense the depth of love that He must have for us, those who are redeemed by the blood of Christ. Wow.

  • It has opened my eyes what it must be like for an infinite and all-knowing God to relate to Man. This was an interesting revelation that came to me as I tried to explain things to my kids as simply as I could, within their limited knowledge and vocabulary. I watched Noey insist that he understands something from the simplified explanation that I gave him and I know from where I stand now that there are so many gaps in his understanding, but also it is good enough for him for now, because he simply cannot understand more at this point. This must be how it is for God communicating his messages to us. It has helped me to better accept that there are things I might not understand now, but which I might, with greater maturity. And how there may be some things that I may never understand on this side of eternity.

  • I have a greater desire to find my roots and to know more about my own family. Maybe this is also because I'm getting old, but with each new generation comes the desire to know more about those who came before. I've become more keen on traditions to pass on and histories that make us who we are. 

  • I have become much more compassionate and understanding. Especially to other folks who have kids who act up embarrassingly in restaurants, shops, lifts… On a more serious note, I cannot read a piece of news involving a child and not feel it on a personal level.

  • I get to see the ordinary with new eyes. Being an old, seasoned and jaded adult, it is a breath of fresh air seeing the kids discover things that I have taken for granted. The pleasure they take in playing with mimosa, for example, or just enjoying a ride through the park.

  • I get to be a child again. I get to play -- yay! And kids now seem to have a lot more play options which have me itching to participate! From museums to indoor playgrounds to the great outdoors… more often than not, there is something in it especially for the kids. They are so lucky! I admit that half the time when I bring the kids to check out events, it's really because I want to try them out myself.

  • I get to buy cute stuff and toys! With this point and the one above, you can tell I haven't grown up, notwithstanding the fact that I'm a mum of two. Haha. But all those pretty clothes! Shoes! All that Lego we've got! I also recently got myself a rainbow loom. Hee. Noey's been quite keen on it but honestly, I bought it for me. The kids are my excuse.

  • Kids can be endless entertainment. Of course they can be endless pain as well but man, sometimes they totally crack me up and say the funniest things.

  • I have my own two minions. Case in point:

    Minions 
  • THE CUDDLES. For me, it's the opportunity to kiss my little girl's fat cheeks whenever I feel like it, which is pretty much every time I pick her up. And while I might complain about the kids treating me like a pillow or a bed, when they throw my arms around me for a tight squeeze, it's the best feeling in the world.

  • There is nothing like seeing a life develop before your eyes. It's amazing to watch these little beings grow into their own person. To see how they are like you and yet also not like you. Witness all the firsts and celebrate little joys. Yes, the circle of life and all that.

 **********

We didn't make a big deal about Mother's Day on this year as that was the day we flew to Bali for a short holiday. But the husband decided the following Saturday to have a make-up Mother's Day celebration. He woke up bright and early (which is VERY rare for him), and rallied the troops to make a card, buy some flowers and make a simple breakfast for me. He's such a sweetheart, I know. I didn't think much about missing Mother's Day really but on that Saturday, it felt really nice to be appreciated.

MothersDayMy breakfast with the tomatoes Meips washed and the strawberries Noey cut and the ham that Meips helped to squeeze honey on to and Noey helped grill. And which Meips reassuringly told me that they would "help (me) eat, alright?"

Mother's Day might have been a time intended for my children to thank me their Mummy for what I've done for them but at this time, I want to also say thank you kids, for what you've done for me.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with all those points above! Motherhood is really something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was more than I expected for sure! No regrets :)

      Delete
  2. I think you definitely learn to be a better person when you are a parent.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...