Powered by Blog - Widget


Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fun with a Guilty Conscience

My parents can be so funny sometimes.

DD and I had met with my mum for a spot of shopping around United Square yesterday, and when it was time for dinner, my Mum suggested a Jap restuarant in the area that she frequents regularly at lunch time when she's around Novena.

When we arrived at the restaurant, we realised that (at dinner at least) it was primarily a sushi restaurant and they only served a rather limited menu of set dinners. Since virtually every set had sushi or sashimi of some sort, and the fish did look oh-so-good, I meekly asked DD and my Mum if it would be ok if I just had some of the sushi and sashimi. Dear DD - bless him - very gamely told me that he thought it was ok. The sashimi did look very fresh and as he said "I'm sure in Japan the pregnant women do take some!" (According to another friend of ours, they do, but after the 1st trimester. I haven't verified this though!) My Mum, being the type of person who is very relaxed about food restrictions thought that made sense, so I GOT MY SASHIMI! Hurray!! I'm not sure if it's the deprivation, but man, was it GOOD.

[There should be a picture of the sashimi here but I was too busy eating to take any pics!]

Then this morning, while I was away for a long morning meeting, my mother apparently tried to call me and couldn't reach me. And obviously the fact that she had let me eat sashimi started to play on her mind a bit cos when my colleague who had answered my phone (and who had no idea where I was) said that I had "just stepped out for a bit", my dear parents started to get worried and thought that I'd come down with food poisioning or something from the raw fish! And because I I didn't return their call for quite a while, they though I was stuck in the toilet for a long time feeling unwell! And my mum started feeling guilty, and my Dad, being the rather alarmist type of person that he is, started chiding my mother for letting me eat raw food when "the doctor said cannot!". It was very funny when they later related this all to me after I had returned to my desk and returned their calls. Haha. Anyway, they were naturally really relieved to hear from me and both DD and I had a good laugh at their expense.

9 comments:

  1. Kekek well, my gynae did say - sashimi and anything else also can eat, but in moderation.

    Though I didnt touch sashimi at all during pregnancy. It was easy not to cos tehpeng is not a sashimi person (Jap to him is katsu curry!haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to share... at the beginning of my pregnancy before i knew i was pregnant, i went on a trip to japan with ed and my parents. i drank a lot of sake and had A LOT of sashimi and freaked out when i discovered i was pregnant the week after. my gynae said it's ok as long as we don't consume vats of alcohol and eat from unlicensed back-alley establishment types. just need to avoid certain types of fish which have a higher level of mercury than the others, but in general, for other foods- just eat lah! a bit here and there, and in moderation can already. i was very turned off by fish and seafood from the first trimester onwards and avoided it all but i do have a friend in japan who says he knows pregnant women who have their weekly sashimi fixes still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh your parents are so cute! :) Well if it was from a good proper restaurant I don't think there's anything to worry about. Not like you've been downing raw fish at every opportunity! Your mum's a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21/7/08 08:38

    Hahha...parents are like that la...

    moderation is okay..but can avoid raw is good also.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahhaahah! your parents are cute! but i guess they just love you! =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parents are just simply the sweetest, aren't they! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha oh dear.. have you told your parents it's actually ok to have sashimi any time past the 1st tri?? my gynae looked at me funny when i asked her if I could eat sashimi. She was like "eat lah!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous22/7/08 09:24

    It sure goes to show how much they love you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lilsnooze >> haha, you know, i think katsu curry/katsu don are DD's staple jap food too! my gynae didn't tell me that it'll be ok after the 1st tri! (not that i've been too good at avoiding it anyway...)

    peifen >> haha, you know, before i knew i was pregnant, i was in thailand having drinks, getting thai massage (the type where they step on you and all), eating lots of pineapple, etc. heh. anyway, thanks for the validation! more sashimi, here i come :)

    corsage >> heh, i had a good laugh when i realised what they were thinking! but i appreciated the concern.

    silver-crv >> yes, i guess sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

    elaine, jemej & muffin girl >> i guess if i were a parent i might be the same!

    kopikia >> maybe i should have asked my gynae cos she didn't say that so i've been stoically trying to avoid sashimi (though not always successfully!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...