Powered by Blog - Widget


Sunday, September 07, 2008

Cough cough

Maybe it's the excitement of the past few weeks but I've suddenly been floored by a really bad cough and have been on MC the past few days. Ugh.

DD's been feeling real bad about it cos he's been nursing a nasty cough for the past month, and after a course of medicine failed to sort it out, he has been ignoring it despite my repeated requests to PLEASE go visit the doctor again. Well, he didn't. And after the run of really cold weather over the past week, I've now come down with what looks to be the same thing -- a painful thorat and a hacking cough. Thankfully I only had a fever on the first day, and since then, I've mostly been better, but it's interrupted my sleep a fair bit. On the first night I repeatedly coughed myself awake, and each time I got out of bed to get rid of excess phlegm, I found myself having to use the toilet as well. After 5-6 cycles of that, I was feeling really dead the next morning.

The doctor has precribed some meds but I've been taking them sparingly, and being apparently pregnancy-safe type meds, they aren't too strong anyway, so I've instead been trying to dose myself with natural remedies like manuka honey, and gargling with salt water. Not sure if I'm really getting better though so I've mostly been feeling rather miserable. Any one with good cough remedies, let me know!

I really hope I get over this soon.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/9/08 02:07

    hey, i just heard that the whooping cough is back in force in asia (sgp, specifically). one of the professors i know recently came back from sgp where he had the same symptoms. it's apparently especially bad at night and you can't breath properly, so it disrupts your sleep cycle and the end result is what you have described. get D to go see the doc with you both and mention this. it's totally curable, but it does need to be diagnosed.
    hope you get better quick. love and hugs, nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/9/08 10:19

    With our no/little medication condition, I guess can only rely on good old lukewarm water, manuka honey and gargling. My cough took almost a month to completely go away. Talk less, drink lukewarm fluids. Really hope you'll get well soon!! Yes, do tell your gynae about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/9/08 12:49

    hope you are better now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/9/08 16:24

    Oh no.. Hope you're feeling better by the time u read this! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a coincidence! i coughed for a month right before i delivered too! i didn't even see a GP or my gynae... I just let it run its course. lots of water, strepsils, pi pa gao and rest. if you have a humidifier, it helps to place it next to your bed where you sleep... it moistens your throat so it doesn't feel as dry.
    hey i just noticed your small things calendar states your delivery date on sept 13... not october?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9/9/08 20:57

    oh yes, i totally second pei fen on the humidifier! put in right under your aircon (read it from my instruction manual), and it really helps to moisten your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks all for your concern! still feeling under the weather, but hoping i'll feel better soon. am getting better i think@

    nat >> i'm pretty sure it's not whooping cough lah -- just a normal congested cough. whooping cough sounds so scary and serious!

    yuling >> a month! :(( no humidifier but i guess i'll avoid the aircon...

    peifen >> looks like i'll just have to to let it run it's course. it's pretty miserable though since it's the last month. sigh!

    oh, pai seh! it's the day i take delivery of a lot of purchases! hahaha. my EDD is still oct!

    ReplyDelete
  9. really hope u are getting better now! =p

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha.. your 'deliveries' on 13 sept.. how apt. :)

    anyway, get well soon babe..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Do get well soon. I have 2 colleagues who are experiencing the kind of cough you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. someone recommended me camomile with honey when i was having a bad throat and cough. it helped to soothe the throat.

    hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahh.. do take care yeah!
    Praying for yours and DD's speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12/9/08 12:14

    Honey lemon drink! Pi pa gao! Rest!

    Get well soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous19/9/08 23:49

    Feeling better now??!?

    Usually I would get my mum to do this Nan Xing & Bei Xing (Two types of chinese almonds) with skinned apple (and some rock sugar) double boiled 4hrs soup/desert(?)

    I find that it's soothes the throat thus the cough would go away...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...