Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, May 30, 2009

Comfort Food

Me, myself and I and my bowl of yummy goodness at Tampopo.



Was feeling kinda glum at the lack of a lunch date on Friday when I decided to snap out of it and just take myself somewhere I've been meaning to check out for a while. Had a flash of inspiration and popped down to Tampopo. I was sorely tempted by the Black Pig Tonkatsu but it fried meat really isn't my thing so I decided to stick to ramen and can I say, there's nothing like good rich stock to lift my spirits. It had just the right amount of spiciness for kick and the noodles were the right texture, but I honestly couldn't taste any difference in the black pig pork as compared with ordinary pork. I blame my plebeian taste buds.

A heartily satisfying lunch (I threw in cold tofu and a handroll to round it off), though I must admit I sighed when I emerged after lunch to see Marutama on the floor above! I've been wanting to try that even more! Ah well.

I wandered about a bit before heading home and ended up browsing Meidi-ya and ogling the stuff on display, including the super expensive "fresh from Japan" fruits that looked oh-so-good.



Given the extensive selection of Jap condiments available, I couldn't resist picking up wafu salad dressing and some bonito flakes, dashi stock and shredded seaweed for agedashi and hiyayakko tofu. The cost at the end of the day though almost convinced me that I was better off paying $4.50 for the dish at restaurants! Let's see when I get round to putting it together...

6 comments:

  1. heye! Happy Blessed Birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday V! Just saw your calendar at the side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohhh yumminess!! the tonkatsu is nothing to rave about. a lot of fats and too oily i find. but very crunchy and crispy though. I get so excited every time i see you blog about food. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy belated birthday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cant believe we never went to marutama tght before i left! oooh... my mouth is watering at the thought.... marutama ramen is now on my 'to do' list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the birthday wishes guys :)

    michelle :: haha, we should meet up and have a good meal!

    daph :: i know! aiyah, was a bit house bound then. next time you're back, we go!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...