Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, June 12, 2010

Kick-Off of the Jabulani


The World Cup is upon us again.

This year however, unlike in previous years, I am not prepared. I haven't been following news on the teams and the friendlies that have been played, not had discussions on the form book, the favourites and the underdogs. I don't know the fixtures, the groups or even who all the teams playing are!

Tsk tsk.

I think this is because I now work in an all-female department with ladies who couldn't care less about football, even if it is the world cup. The rest of the time I'm at home and well, I don't think Noey is quite in a position to talk football with me just yet!

If it isn't obvious by now, I am one of those strange girls who watch football. I love the game, though probably slightly less than the average male fan. I'm definitely not one of the boys. The EPL doesn't do it for me -- that's more DD's thing -- but the World Cup and to a lesser extent, Euro, I LOVE.

I tried to tell DD how the cost of subscribing for the world cup channels was too high and that we shouldn't pay out of principle, but now that the spectacle has started, I'm glad I can catch it on TV. I have no backbone, I know.

And I am excited. The fever has hit, finally.

I haven't chosen my teams yet though. My heart probably remains with Italy, as it has always been, especially since it's Cannavaro's last World Cup. But since they won the last World Cup, I feel they've got nothing to prove? And for all the EPL that we watch, a part of me hopes that England won't disappoint (like they always, unfortunately do).

I'll probably join DD in supporting one of his perennial favourites, Spain, whom incidentally, everyone seems to be tipping to win. I really really hope they don't choke like they're famous for doing! His other favourites are Argentina and Brazil, in that order.

So, any early predictions? (Aside from the fact that we're going to get very little sleep this month?)

5 comments:

  1. Joe is currently eagerly awaiting the first England match in 20 mins :) I think I'm going to be a World cup widow for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, 4 years later, Im again a world cup soccer "widow" and with Nat to handle at bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha...same sentiments exactly! I think the babies have something to do with it! Last world cup I had the fixtures printed and stuck on the fridge. This time I watched the first match and started drifting off to sleep...zzzz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watch football too!

    to up my street cred I always tell whoever will listen that I've watched a match at anfield. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. daphne :: watch the games lah!

    lilsnooze :: this time with added parenting responsibilities too! Nat not interested in football yet? :)

    ker :: how these babies have taken over our life. the first games wasn't too exciting though so i'm not surprised you started dozing off. fortunately the games have gotten better.

    lyndis :: oh yes, i forgot you're a die-hard liverpool fan! you're prob more a football fanatic than me! :) DD is still wating to go to anfield... at least at the rate the new stadium is (not)coming along, he's got some years left to do it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...