Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, June 09, 2010

To the Library we go...

'Twas a rainy afternoon yesterday and on the spur of the moment, inspired partly by the desire to avoid being cooped up with Noey at home the whole day, the boy and I made a trip to the Clementi Community Children's Library.

I was actually checking the National Library's website to see if there was any other library closer to my home than the Queenstown Public Library, since the latter is still quite a trek away. The answer, as far as public libraries are concerned, is no, unfortunately. But I saw the reference to this children's library and thought we could check it out.

I was pleasantly surprised to find on arrival that the library wasn't as small as I'd thought it would be. It was a good size and well stocked. It was filled with children's books, of course, but aside from English books, there was a section with Malay books and another with Chinese books. There was also a collection of non-fiction titles (mostly Science related, from what I could see). And for parents, there was a small section of parenting and childcare books.

One of the colourful walls, with low shelves filled with books. Noey had no trouble rumaging through the shelves and pulling out what he wanted.

My book-loving little man got all excited at the sight of so many books and I easily managed to settle him into a chair while I left to go scout for more books for him.


Of course shortly after I turned and left him, Noey merrily left his seat at the table and settled into a more comfortable position.

My little samseng sitting on the floor.

He also spent a good deal of time running amok exploring the space. I was just grateful that it was an enclosed space so I couldn't lose him!

We spent slightly more than an hour browsing and reading, and before we knew it, it was time to head home for dinner. We emerged with 6 books in hand and intentions to return. Well, we'll have to anyway, because unlike the regular public libraries, the books will have to be returned to the same library and cannot be dropped off at book drops.

I don't mind though. I'm already thinking we can make trips to this library a regular feature in our week. Now if only it would open earlier than 4pm on weekdays!

4 comments:

  1. The libraries have changed so much!!!! It was our most visited place during the short two months stay earlier this year; think we go twice a week, sometimes thrice since it was just across the road from my parents' place. Love the variety of books available and streamlined process of borrowing and returning - no more queues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm why does that library open so late? I thought they're supposed to be opened from 9a.m onwards? I usually bring Kirsten there to crawl around (oops) while I wait for Tru to be dismissed from the playgroup.

    Yeah it's a lot more convenient compared to our time...the books are really new and the whole borrowing and returning process is made really smooth. Can even drop off after opening hours which is a HUGE factor for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! libraries are a favourite with us as well! Space to run but yet enclosed! Running amok or i mean exploring? I can so understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MG :: I wish I had a library within walking distance of my house! It would be the perfect place to while away lazy mornings and hot afternoons.

    Daphne :: Beats me why it opens at 4pm. Maybe it targets school going children so they figured there's no need to open in the morning since most of them are in school? I wish it did open earlier though -- would be much more convenient for me.

    Jamie :: Hi there, thanks for dropping a note! Heh, guess that why it's a favourite with Mummies as well as the kids!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...