Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, June 04, 2011

Noddy!


Noey has a little set of Noddy look-and-learn books that my Father-in-law got for him in Sydney, at DD's suggestion. DD loves Noddy, the series being the books that inspired his love for reading. He'd been telling me to get them for Noey, but they can no longer be found in bookshops here these days.

So when I got a mailer from Book Depository some time back informing of a 10% off everything sale, I decided to search for Noddy, and to my delight, they did carry some of the books. I promptly put in an order, and the books arrived yesterday.

I've not found the time to flip through the books yet, but Noey quickly got his grubby fingers on the books and has been thumbing through the pages, even though he can't read yet. I know the stories are a little long for reading to an impatient toddler, but I'm looking forward to the day when we can share the stories with him.


Incidentally, does anyone know why Enid Blyton's books can no longer be found in bookstores? The only ones I've come across are the crappy collections of short stories, which are nowhere as good as the long stories they used to have on the Faraway Tree, or Mr Galliano's Circus, to name a few, or Noddy for that matter. I grew up with those books and enjoyed them. It's a pity they can now longer be found. I know they have been criticised for being formulaic, and being somewhat racist (with the references to Golliwogs) and sexist, but is that why they are no longer published?

Now I wish I had stopped my Mum from throwing away so many of my old books! Now I'll have to hunt the books down. Those stories are something I think would still be meaningful to share with Noey -- a little piece of my childhood to include in his.

By the way, the Book Depository sale has been extended till Sunday. 10% off and free shipping worldwide! Just enter the code May11 at checkout.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/6/11 15:42

    I still see lots of Enid Blyton at Popular, including the Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair series! Just saw at Prologue, ION Orchard, the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes was just gonna say i saw enid blyton books at popular! why dont you call them up and ask for the specific titles t hat you want?

    PS: didnt see the golliwogs series.. hmm..

    PPS: I used to read really long stories to YK, but i would summarize and tell him only the main points that matched the pictures when i feel he;s getting restless. As he got older, I would read more and more bits to him until he can sit through the entire long section! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Faraway Tree series! Bought at Kino a few years back. Love them and yes...like you, I wish my mom hasn't given away my Malory Towers or Naughtiest Girl at School series. I still see the Enid Blyton books in bookshops but you'll have to search around as they don't stock the same titles in one shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. I love Noddy. I always stare blankly when the voucher comes, not going what to get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @distractedfish hmmm, i must be missing the good ones at popular -- i keep only finding the other titles that i'm not as fond of. thanks, must check it out.

    @fanyin yeah, i probably should call them to ask about titles. good point. i do exactly the same thing re summarizing the stories! noey keeps trying to flip the page otherwise and i really can't read aloud tha fast. haha!

    @Chocklitmom hurray for the fact that they still have the Faraway Tree! I don't think they have Malory Towers or St.Clares anymore, but I think those are still sitting in the cupboards at my parents' place. i should probably quickly go rescue them before they get discarded.

    @Ruth yah, me too! now i randomly put things in m cart so that when the offers roll round, i have stuff to checkout ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we all grew up with Enid Blyton's books didnt we? Even my babysis doesnt read Enid Blyton, not so sure Im gonna hv much luck trying to get Nat interested in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @lilsnooze you're right, come to think of it, my bro didn't really read that much of enid blyton either!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...