Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Guilty Pleasure

Sunday, the 7th day of the Lunar New Year, was 人日. Another day, another opportunity to celebrate.

We were over at my MIL's place for our usual dinner, so I asked her how 人日 was celebrated. "With another feast, of course!" she laughed. We Chinese just love our food.

And a mini feast we had, topped off with what must be my ultimate guilty pleasure -- my MIL's homemade sharksfin soup with crabmeat.

Yes, I know eating sharksfin is really not politically correct these days, with the greater awareness and growing outrage against shark finning. In fact, it's almost the vogue thing to do to take sharksfin off the menu and off shelves these days. Shark finning is not a practice I would condone myself. But oh, how I do love this soup. Positively my favourite soup bar none. Especially when it comes with big pieces of fin. The fin may be tasteless, but it adds a bite to the soup that is just so good.

I now refrain from ordering this at restaurants, but when I'm offered a bowl, I cannot resist. So I accepted my bowl with thanks on Sunday and quietly lapped it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...