Powered by Blog - Widget


Friday, August 02, 2013

What is a Good School? And the Right School?

It's that time of the year when tensions rise, statistics are furiously discussed and the papers see an increase in the number of letters being written by opposing camps.

I'm talking about the Primary 1 registration, the time when parents all gun for THE SCHOOL of their choice. Phase 2C closed today and it looks like lots of schools will be going to the ballot boxes.

It isn't our turn yet. That fateful day will come next year when it becomes Noey's turn to register.

But that hasn't stopped me from wondering which school might be best for him. Indeed, it's been something that we've been thinking about for a long time now. What is a "good school"? To me and for him?

The thing is, the school which we are most likely to register him in is one of those traditionally considered to be a good school. You know, high academic standards, track record of excellence, and SAP to boot. It's the husband's alma mater and with the registration process as it stands, it is the school we stand the highest chance of getting into. The husband and I have very low-risk thresholds and avoiding a heart-stopping ballot is a top priority.

I guess it would be a no-brainer for most people, but is it the best school for Noey? In truth, I don't really know. On the one hand, I (like any other idealistic parent, I suspect) would like a school that isn't too stressful and would leave him still plenty of time to read, draw, dream and go on excursions around town with Mummy. And yet, this same school should also challenge him, encourage a love for learning, and give him opportunities to grow, both academically and in maturity as a person. Sounds like a lot to ask huh!

I think when choosing a school, instead of just looking at the school, it is just as important to look at the child and see if they would be a good fit. I know parents who are keen to enrol their child in highly competitive and academically rigorous (and popular) schools, but whose children look to me like they would struggle to keep up. Would that really be the best choice? I don't think so.

For Noey, I was all for a less-academic school until the husband pointed out that maybe Noey needed the push academically. That gave me pause, especially when it immediately brought to mind a conversation I had with the boy that very day:

Noey: Mummy, I'm thinking about my job.

Me: Your job? Your future job you mean? What do you want to be when you grow up?

Noey: I think… A mechanic.

Me: Oh, so that you can work with cars? That's good!

Noey: Or maybe I'll be a postman. Yes, a postman. Because it's easier. Then I can go “ch-ch-ch!” (Gestures with the swishing action of a postman slotting letters into the mailbox.)

I have no problems with him being a mechanic, by the way, or being anything else he wants to be. I always tell him that whatever he chooses, he has to do it well in faithful service to God. But it really bothered me that he just wanted the easier option. Things that are worth having don't come easy, son. And things that come easy often aren't worth having.

Fireman1Noah the fireman perhaps?

Since then, I've been thinking, maybe the experience of a pressure-cooker environment might not entirely be a bad thing. Especially when academically, I feel that he should be able to cope, if he puts in the effort.

We have a year to go, but in all honesty, our options are pretty limited. The schools within 1km of our home are generally popular and by the time it reaches the public phase, there are only a small number of places left, and always a ballot. I do plan to try to visit a couple of schools to get a better feel of them, but after that, well, it really is something we have to commit to prayer. 

For now, I think we're just going to enjoy kindy as long as it lasts!

8 comments:

  1. i dread this time next year too. my old school is too far from our hse, and my hub's sch is for boys and i have 2 girls! the 2 schs within 1km of my plc are the highly contested ones... FAINT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope you have some good options! It's our turn for the hot seat next year.

      Delete
  2. Yes, am so not looking forward to primary school. Guess it's always a fine balance between too-stressful and just the right amount, or latter and too lax! :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's a balance that's constantly changing. Sigh! Last year!

      Delete
  3. I went through more or less the same conundrum too! But the hubbs' sense of patriotism won out, and so you know where we are going. I think chances are good that we can have breakfast together on a regular basis in two years time... :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, patriotism! DD doesn't feel that way about the school but he acknowledges it's a good one. Glad I'll have you to lim kopi with in the early hours of the morn!

      Delete
  4. Having no fuss and little drama is the way to go. IF we had alumni affiliations, we would have gone that route too. ;)

    LOL at him choosing the easier option! At least he knows about working. Nat is still happily clueless. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tell me about it... i'll keep you posted about YK's (mis)adventures :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...