Powered by Blog - Widget


Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Time Is Here

 I wasn't really ready for Christmas, but it came anyway. And you know what? We had a great time. 

Xmas1My homemade Christmas crackers (a clever idea by my friend Jasmine) and the aftermath!

We didn't have a big Christmas this year. Just a couple of gatherings with people who meant the most -- family, old friends, and not so old friends. We talked, we laughed, we played (or at least the kids did), and we ATE. Aside from ham which I made three times this year, my Christmas feasting was mostly non-traditional: Sushi and Jap-inspired pasta with friends, Teppanyaki with the in-laws, Dim Sum lunch with my family, and Steamboat with the girls. It was awesome, not the least because we didn't have to endure paying cut-throat prices for seasonal food. I was telling the hubby that we should totally do the reverse during Chinese New Year and have Western food but my old man refused. Hah.

Of course, I couldn't pass up the chance to cook one large Christmas meal, which I managed to do, with some contributions from my Mum. She took care of the Angus Roast Beef and made a salad and some soup, while I whipped up some mash, a jap-insipred pasta, tackled the Ham, and tried something new: a Pork Knuckle. Nothing gets me excited like trying a new recipe, especially when trying to reproduce a family favourite!

After getting directions from the butcher and doing a bit of online research, I decide to follow this recipe. I salted the skin of the knuckle the night before generously as directed. "敢敢来!" said the butcher, so I that's what I did. And behold, the next day, the skin was nice and tight and dry. That's when I started getting excited. I seasoned the meat portion in the morning and added some extra seasoning to the skin before I stuck it in the oven. It cooked nicely for about 1 hr 15 min, then I turned the temp up to 220°C and hoped for the best. It was a bit scary cos I've rarely ever turned my oven that high. Didn't help that it started smoking! (It was from the oil dripping down from the meat and hitting the hot pan.) I gingerly hung around and when the skin turned a lovely golden colour, I decided to pull the knuckle out. On hindsight I probably could have left it in for a while more but I didn't want to risk it. But I was very happy with what I pulled out. The skin had a nice ring to it when I tapped it with a spoon and I knew it was going to be crispy. 

Xmas3Port knuckle:  When I first put it in the oven and immediately after pulling it out!

Of course, the ultimate test is the taste test, and the verdict? It was really really yummy. (Yay.) The meat was tender and juicy while the skin had a good crunch to it. I'm definitely going to do this again -- and perfect it! It was a really good meal, if I may some myself.

Xmas2The Christmas Feast

After all that food, we broke from past tradition and did the gift exchange and opening there and then, much to the delight of the children. They were certainly thoroughly spoilt, with gifts from my whole family. My parents and my sis and brother-in-law bought them so many gifts! It was a present bonanza.

Xmas4Barbie! Her first, from her doting grandparents.

Xmas5The orange Hot Wheels Lamborghini that he's been telling me about for a couple of weeks. His grandparents had brought him along to pick his own presents.

Xmas8And the wall track to go with the cars! This has stayed on in my parents' house, to be played with when he's there.

Xmas7Mr Men and Little Miss complete collections! Yay! A present from my sis and brother-in-law, at my request.

Xmas9No Christmas is complete without Lego! This from my brother.

Xmas6Meips favourite present of them all, and really the smallest one she received: a Hello Kitty pouch from my sister. I don't know how I managed to raise a Hello Kitty fan, but the the cat is definitely growing on me!

That was our Christmas, and I think it was a lovely way to end the year. 

Xmas10

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...