Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, February 04, 2014

CNY 2014 Festivities

I don't know about you, but it's taken me a few days to recover from the madness that is Chinese New Year.

I always dread Chinese New Year because there's always so much to do and our schedule is packed to the brim. Coming from a family that does a ton of visitations then marrying into a family that does the same does not an easy Chinese New Year make. It took my parents a long time to adjust to the fact that I would not be able to join in the big extended family gatherings on my Dad's side on Chinese New Year Eve and on 初一. It didn't sit well, especially when there were grandchildren that they wanted to show off and be involved in the festivities.

CNY2014 3Please, don't make us visit anymore!

It's taken a while (8 years!!) for us to reach the kind-of compromise position that we have now. I was in fact overjoyed to realise this year that my parents have shifted a couple of more significant visits to relatives that I actually know and like to 初二 as it meant that I would be able to join them. As a result, our schedule extended to five stops on the first day and another five stops on the second. We were all so tired at the end of it. But it was worth it. Primarily because it kept my parents happy, but also because I actually enjoyed meeting the relatives and friends that we visited. That's what makes it meaningful, isn't it? 

And ok, I really enjoyed all the good food that we got to eat!

CNY2014 6CNY 初一 lunch at my MIL's. Always the best meal of the season. This isn't even everything -- it's missing the steamed fish, my MIL's awesome 猪肚汤, and the 发菜。

CNY2014 7Nomi showing how this amazing soup -- brewed over three days, mind you -- ought to be drunk. Mmmmm.

As for the kids, they got lots of yu sheng, got to eat a copious amount of unauthorised snacks and treats, and got to watch a shocking amount of television. Oh, and let's not forget the many ang pows they got. I'd say they had a good time.

CNY2014 2The kids 拜年 for Kong Kong and Popo. This year Noey is a champ with his phrases -- 新年快乐,万事如意,身体健康,龙马精神!-- while Nomi manages with some prompting.

CNY2014 4Upon the laps of some of the people who love them best.

CNY2014 5A kiss for Papa!

CNY2014 8With their great-grandma! 

CNY2014 9Noey with Nai-nai. And you see why he doesn't appear in too many of my pictures these days. This is what I get when I ask him to smile!

CNY2014 12Unintentionally matchy-matchy with little S, my Dad's cousin's grandson, on初二! The two boys were pretty amused by the coincidence!

CNY2014 1Really yummy yu sheng from Peach Garden, which cost a whopping $98! 

CNY2014 10Lo hei! Nomi gets in on the action with her ONE chopstick.

(I forgot to take a pic of the steamboat at my parent's place, which is my favourite steamboat meal because of all the 'ho liao' (好料). Sigh!)

CNY2014 11Celebrating 姨丈's birthday but you can guess who monopolised the candle!

CNY2014 13Our "simple lunch" on 初三 (according to my MIL clearly, not me!) 

CNY2014 14Stepping in her father's shoes - literally.

It was crazy, but it was good. Now I'm just glad I don't have to do that for another year! 

I hope your Chinese New Year was good as well. Have a 马-vellous year ahead! (Couldn't resist! Heh!)

6 comments:

  1. Wah all the food! =) Looks like a great CNY for you, Vera! I love the pics of the kids with the gramps! So sweet! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer! We try to take pics of the kids with their gramps at this time every year - makes for a good record :)

      Delete
  2. Hahhaa it's been 10 and we still haven't reached a compromise yet! It was a lot of rushing around to wait for relatives to arrive.
    Oh the soup looks amazing. OK all the food. I'm starving now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was amazing. Wish we could have it more often! I don't think it's really possible to have a compromise that everyone would be happy with but I think this year was as good as it gets.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a spread! And homecooked!

    Elly is everywhere this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was spread after spread! My MIL actually told some of the family to contribute food as she couldn't cope but she still went ahead to cook 6 dishes anyway! So we had loads of food.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...