Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kitchen Raiding can make for Good Meals

Sad but true: the highlight of my day yesterday was the dinner I was going to cook that night.

I've been lazy the past few weeks and have just been instructing my helper to prepare dinner from the standard dishes that she's familiar with, so my poor husband has been having steamed fish a bit too often for his liking. Hey, even I was getting a bit tired of it. So I decided to scout around for some new dishes to try that, most importantly, would allow me to make use of ingredients which I have in my fridge and cupboards. Yesterday's ingredients were the smoked salmon I bought for sandwiches but didn't make, the leftover butterhead and red wine on the shelves.

This is what I came up with.







I followed this recipe for the beef, with my own tweaks and whipped up my own honey mustard dressing (with extra lemon and less honey) for the salad. The tomato soup (Campbell's) was a last minute addition. But I'm really pleased with the beef -- DD declared that it's not a "can make again" recipe, but a "please make again" one. Haha. We even broke out the wine glasses and had the remainder of the red wine. Hmmmm, maybe that's why Noey slept so well that night?

Am inspired now to do more!

11 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of trying my hand in beef stew cooked in red wine! Going to try this recipe. BTW, what is pearl onion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks v professional! I'm Old Mother Hubbard - there's never anything good enough for a meal in my fridge and pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heh heh I had half a glass of wine recently too! Was feeling a tad guilty till I read yr entry. :) maybe it's good for their arteries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you cooking again! The beef looks really good. I have been reminded to use up the stuff in my freezer to free up space for possible breastmilk storage in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not exactly a salad person, but the smoked salmon salad looks real appetizing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always fun to try out new recipes isnt it? The smoked salad looks really appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh nice! I cant wait to try out new recipes again ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. naniecheng22/6/09 14:41

    Looks yummy :) Can I ask where you get your smoked salmon from? Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  9. lyn :: heh, well, my friend in france told me that her dr said one glass a day after baby goes down for the night is fine (frendch and their wine!)

    nanie :: just used the stuff i found at the supermarket! it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...