Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In Perfect Symmetry



How often does one's husband's favourite band come into town for a one-night-only concert on his birthday?

When I heard from my brother that Keane was coming to play on 13 August, I knew it would make the perfect birthday present for my fan of a husband.

I'd originally wanted to surprise him, but given that the 13th was a Thursday, I was highly doubtful that I was going to be able to make him get off work in time for the gig without some incentive. Already he professed dismay when I told him I was planning a surprise for him for his birthday, thinking that I was going to throw him some party. (This husband of mine is a closet recluse, though you wouldn't think that if you meet him.) So in the end I told him, and it turned out to be a good move cos he was excited enough about it to take leave that day so we had a whole day to spend together before we left Noey in the good hands of his grandparents and skipped off for a night out.

I really felt young again, and happening -- ok, pseudo-happening -- going for a concert in the park! We were even early enough to find a good (legit) lot for our car and squeeze ourselves into a pretty good spot near the front to wait it out.



The band came on at nearly 9.30pm and by then my age was showing. My feet hurt and I had to sit down during segments of the opening acts. But the tiredness was forgotten when Keane came on stage. And thanks to the numerous times I'd heard them (on repeat) at home, no thanks to DD, I found myself able to sing along to many of the songs, together with most of the crowd. The band sounded great live. It was AWESOME.







By the time they wrapped up after 2 encores it was 11 plus, and we headed home, hoarse and buzzing from a high. There's nothing like hearing music played live.

Felt a tad guilty when we got home to find out that Noey only went to sleep at 10.40pm, a whole hour and a half after his usual bedtime. But that day wasn't about Noey, it was about DD. And it was all worthwhile, hearing him happily declare that he had the best birthday ever. Happy Birthday Sweetie!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like both our husbands have the best birthday presents this year!

    Happy birthday DD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DD is a closet recluse?? No way! He's so friendly and chatty with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. does that mean he's warmed up to us as proper friends (not some internet friends ;p) now that he's more chatty and smiley with us? hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. silver_crv19/8/09 12:25

    lovely evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilsnooze :: They did, din't they! And it made our job of getting a present for them easier too! Hee.

    Amanda :: That's why closet mah! I knew you girls wouldn't believe me, but it's true! I always have to twist his arm when I want to hold any kind of gathering. Yet after all the reluctance he always has a good time.

    Candice :: He def treats you guys as proper friends! But he just isn't keen on parties, even with his own friends!

    Silver-crv :: It was, and one that we haven't had in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a smashing night for you both!!! Happy belated birthday to D!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...