Powered by Blog - Widget


Monday, May 30, 2011

The Blessed Sound of Self-Soothing

Speaking of fingers in the mouth...

Nom nom nom

...we've got a little fist-sucker in our midst.

And my, the lip-smacking sounds she makes! Totally makes me want to have a piece of that fist myself. However, unlike Noey's finger licking, this fist sucking is totally welcome in my books because it allows little Nomi to put herself right to sleep at night. Having a son who still needs me to lie beside him for a good amount of time before he falls asleep, you can imagine how excited this makes me! I've yet to get a good day routine in place for Nomi, but the night one is shaping up rather well:

6/6.30pm Feed
7/7.30pm Bath
8/8.30pm   Feed then Bedtime

Usually she would be half-asleep after nursing, but would rouse upon being transferred to her bed. It gets a bit tricky sometimes because this girl HAS to burp, if not she would not be able to fall asleep comfortably. As a result, she is mostly awake by the time she hits her pillow and would start to fuss. I stay to pat her a little, but I then drift away into a dark corner of the room and leave her to put herself to sleep. Nomi would suck on her fist while wriggling in bed. She would let out little cries too, which I monitor to ensure that it does not develop into full-blown crying. And slowly and gradually, in between sucking, she would put herself to sleep.

Ah, the blessed sound of self-soothing.

The best part of all this is that she would sleep from around 8.30pm all the way till 5am or past 6am, if I'm lucky. Yup, she's already sleeping through the night and has been for more than 2 weeks now. Noey still sometimes wakes up in middle of the night, so you can imagine how thrilled I am with this. Thank God for little mercies. I'm praying she keeps this up!

(In case you're wondering, I have tried giving her a dream feed between 10pm to 12am in the hopes of getting her to sleep longer, but this girl just CANNOT be woken. I get the "I-refuse-to-open-my-mouth-and-you-can't-make-me" face, and she would take a few half-hearted sips and then fall back asleep. Guess I can only feed her as much as possible before she drops off to dreamland and wait for her to drop the 5am feed. As it is, she usually wakes up around 6am, which really isn't too bad.)

Aaaaaarrrr!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you there! We still need at least 30 minutes every night for XY to nod off so imagine my joy when KX is able to fall asleep on his own.

    He's still not sleeping through but I've not complains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, natalie still needs some rocking and all, but she falls asleep much faster than nat, Thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sockling i think we learn from the mistakes of our older child!

    @lilsnooze well, naomi only puts herself to sleep at night, when i'm in charge! most of the time in the day, she has to be carried to sleep too. but she too falls asleep faster than noey!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...