Powered by Blog - Widget


Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fernando...

It was the weekend of 2 Fernandos:

Torres, whose 2 goals sank Everton in Merseyside derby and made DD a happy camper...


...And Alonso, who beat the odds to win F1's first ever night race in Singapore

So, who agrees with me that that was one UGLY trophy? Poor Alonso didn't even know how to hold it after being handed the thing by the PM!

2 of my colleagues had been teasing me about going to the race and going into labour and we were joking about naming my kid after the winner of the race. At that time I'd jokingly told them that the hubs would love the idea, what with his fondness for Spanish names, like Fernando (meaning Torres). Who knew another Fernando would win?

Anyway, the TV was the closest I got to the race this year, but even from the distance, I thought the race was quite the spectacle -- Piquet's scary crash, 2 safety car periods, chaos in the pits, Massa's refueling disaster, stop-and-go penalties, Kimi's late retirement, Alonso's totally unexpected win... and that's just the race. I've got a soft spot for Alonso (the incredible ass that he was last year with Maclaren notwithstanding) so I was glad he won. DD though was completely glum after the Massa mess and after Kimi crashed out with 4 laps to go, he pretty much lost interest. But I think even the non-fan would have gotten a rush from the TV pics of the cars racing through the city. I thought our skyline could do with better lighting but overall the city did look spectacular.

Which leaves me with a teensy bit of regret that I wasn't there for to watch it all live for the FIRST TIME ever. But at the end of the day I know it was the right decision not to go when I can barely walk and certainly don't fancy pushing with crowds. Plus I sure wouldn't have wanted to make the news there going into labour and having to be extricated, etc.

And no, baby's definitely not gonna be Fernando!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/10/08 01:39

    hahaha... fernando ong! alphonso ong... mario ong... the list is endless... hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think you made the right decision not to go! We had to squeeze through the crowds and walk all the way to Bugis. (City Hall MRT was blocked because of too many people). And we already waited till the bulk of the crowd left!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...