Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Tuition Crutch

IMG 0651

I read, with an equal sense of horror and fascination, the article in the Straits Times on Monday about top students having tuition, some of them for all their subjects. There were a few things that troubled me greatly.

1. That the good students felt that they needed tuition in order to maintain their grades. 

This, no doubt, is the reason why tuition/enrichment is a nearly $1 billion dollar industry, with more than 90% of school-going students apparently having some form of tuition. I can understand needing tuition to get some extra help where the student is struggling and would benefit from some extra coaching, but tuition for students who are already doing well? To me it shows that our students have developed a form of crutch mentality, where they feel like they need the tuition in order to do well when in actual fact, they should be perfectly capable of managing on their own. Aside from being a waste on resources, I think it's very unhealthy. More than just acquiring actual knowledge, the process of learning should enable one to, well, learn how to learn. To gather information, read it, process it, distill out the necessary, and apply it. Tuition is a shortcut, and I don't think it is helpful in the long run because the students then don't develop the necessary skills. 

Which leads to the next point.

2. That even tertiary students are getting tuition.

Even in University? Seriously? When does the tuition crutch end? Would they need a tutor to help them with their work when they start work too to show them the ropes? 

I think this is the effect from having had tuition all your life. That once you run into problems with your work, you turn to a tutor instead of figuring it out yourself, asking your school teachers for advice, or asking your peers.

Perhaps they are like a child I am acquainted with who asked to continue attending all the enrichment classes her parents signed her up for when her parents thought it necessary to re-jig her schedule. "If not, how will I learn?" she earnestly asked. I applaud her diligence, but I think if it were my child, I would want her to know that she can equally learn outside the classroom, that self-discovery can also be fun and rewarding.

3. That the student who was quoted in the papers as needing tuition in her strongest subjects said that one of her reasons for doing so was that it allowed her to "learn faster than her friends".

It was very disheartening to read that and feel that the competition here is such that students feel a need to learn faster than their friends. What kind of society do we have if one consistently feels the need to get ahead?

I was never strong in Math, though I never thought I was poor in it because my mother consistently told me I was good at it. Anyway, I struggled with 'E' Math in Sec 1 and 2, and after I got a failing grade in Sec 1, my mum thought it necessary to get me a tutor. The tutor definitely helped. But what also helped was the fact that in Sec 2, my teacher got me to sit beside the best Math student in class, and tasked her to help me along when I didn't understand something. (This Math genius of a classmate of mine was so good that she was allowed to do Math Olympiad questions during class time and not follow the lesson, by the way.) She did, and I benefitted, because I was better able to follow the class lessons. I also didn't need tuition after a while.

Would today's top student do that for a struggling classmate? I don't know. In fact, I have the sinking feeling that they would just ask their classmate to go take tuition instead.

As a parent of a pre-schooler and toddler who have not yet entered the system, I must admit that I am nervous about the day when they will have to enter Primary school. For now, I am at leisure to let the children lead the kind of life I think all kids should have -- one with plenty of time to play, read, explore the world around them, daydream, get bored and find their own fun. Anecdotal evidence suggests that would change once they start formal schooling. One day I might feel the "need" to march the kids down the tuition route. But at that point, I hope I'll stop to consider this and remember that tuition may not always be the best solution in the long run.

 

10 comments:

  1. I think tuition works best when the student is unable to grasp concepts in class, needs personal attention, and is self-motivated to improve. I was (still is, actually) really bad at Math, and my teacher did the same thing as yours! Peer-tutoring is actually rather effective, if the 'good students' are willing to teach and help their friends. I used to pair some of my students up previously, and got the stronger ones to help the weaker ones, and both groups would actually diligently do their work together, instead of spending their time chit-chatting, which I thought was quite impressive.
    I worry about what will happen when our kids start school, because there's so much emphasis on 'enrichment classes', and I'm still resisting going down that route as much as possible. Maybe I'll change my mind as Noah grows older, but for now, I would rather have him attend gym class or play groups, rather than those 'right-brain' classes. I may eat my words later though, but fingers crossed, I won't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adeline, thank you so much for sharing, especially from a teacher's perspective! It reinforces my view that tuition should only play a support role and helps fill the gaps. I also don't believe in Shichida and that sort of thing :P The only thing academic type class I make my kids do is Chinese!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the article, but completely agree with your views.

    I do worry if the education system has changed so much from our time that everything will conspire against us who seek to buck the trend... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Can't say till we're in it, but we'll offer each other mutual support in our stands, ok?

      Delete
  3. i remember us 4 (with PF and Y) chatting about how we need to keep each other in check and not become one of those kiasu parents as much as we can. it's the mentality of parents' that gotta change.

    that said, i do worry more as a FTWM cos i don't know if my kids are reading enough, playing nice enough with others, or even how much TV/iPad time they have with their gramps, etc. by the time i'm home, we only have enough time for dinner and some chitchatting before we have to prepare them for bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, my gynae was just telling me today during an annual checkup that her kids have tuition in all subjects because she has no time to supervise their homework so yours is a real concern. You have some time yet till your two go to Primary school, and hopefully by then, the rest of us will have some good advice to share.

      Delete
    2. Same for me, Candice. So these days, I have to put in more effort to read to Sophie and teach her so that I know the pace of Sophie's progress. I'm not for tuition at all as it just takes away play time and rest time from them which is important for them given the hours they are at school once they reach primary school.

      Delete
  4. Haha, Kristine, I so know what you mean about going back on your stands! I mean, I still have 2 kids sleeping with me! *weeps* You're not the first teacher to tell me that their students' tuition actually gives you more work and loads the student instead of helping them. Definitely something to keep in mind for me as a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous27/9/13 08:53

    isnt your Math genius friend effectively your tutor then? ( and she doesnt even get paid! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, just read this! Was actually googling for ways to motivate kids, which led me to June's tuition post and then yours, haha!

    Layla's had Chinese tuition since she was 5, a one-hour lesson, twice a week. We actually had two tutors back then, one handled p1 prep and the other conversed with her and read her stories. Layla only started kindy at 6, before that I'd tried reading to her myself but there were so many words that I either didn't know or had forgotten. Also, since we have one non-Chinese speaking member of the family, we don't speak Mandarin unless I'm visiting my parents.

    As we hit the end of the K2 year, Layla's p1 prep tutor told us she was ready for school, and in her assessment, ready to tackle her lessons independently. I guess the crutch mentality had already set in for me, 'coz we continued with our other tutor and eventually upgraded to a 1.5hr lesson so she could incorporate some school-related work as well. Looks like we might be keeping her all the way till sec4, yikes! And then there's Z...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...